PDA

View Full Version : Guage Questions

Clark's diesel
09-11-2005, 12:41
I researched my options for gauges today and noticed that some makers offer an electronic guage as well as the standard mechanical guage. I think I might go with Autometer. The gauges we have on the late model race car all Autometer and have worked very well. Are the electric ones more accurate than the standard mechanical guages? They are a heck of a lot more expensive. I will be installing egt,trans temp, and boost/vac guages. I noticed a small plug,(possibly a test port), on the upper intake manifold of my 6.5. Would this be a good spot to hook up a boost guage? Also, where is a good place to mount the EGT probe? Thanks for helping the NEWBIE out fellas!

Chris611
09-11-2005, 13:47
I'll let someone else answer your questions about mech vs electric...I have issapro EGT/Boost gauges. The EGT is electric. As far as mounting the EGT probe. I mounted it on the passengers side exhaust manifold just below where the turbo mounting flange. There is a little boss there and I drilled and tapped right into the center of the boss. It is easy to get to. Leave the engine running when you drill and tap to blow the debris out. Hope this helps.

I think Kennedy or DIS has pics and insturctions on one of those web pages.

Chris

Bobbie Martin
09-12-2005, 03:13
Most all EGT gauges use a thermister and have only two wires to connect, so not really electric or mechanical. I dropped the crossover and welded a fitting in just under the left manifold. Vac/boost gauges are for gas engines, it will work but you really only need a boost gauge. I would use a mechanical gauge here as they are cheap and easy to plumb in. For the transmission temp, that is a long way to run a mechanical gauge so I would use an electric temp gauge for trans temp.

rjschoolcraft
09-12-2005, 03:41
Actually, they use a thermocouple.

damork
09-13-2005, 17:24
Make sure you don't trim the wires that connect your Pyro to the thermocouple - most are factory calibrated and you are supposed to keep the length fixed. At least that is how my VDO gauge is set up.

Clark's diesel
09-14-2005, 18:25
I am thinking about using the A-pillar tripple pod Autometer offers. Is there much room for mechanical guages in them?

Clark's diesel
09-16-2005, 13:14
BUMP

Hansh
09-17-2005, 13:04
Yes, I have a triple mount and have a mechanical gauge for the oil and water temps. Third gauge is boost and the pyro is mounted above the dash.