PDA

View Full Version : Piston cooling nozzles

a4stargen
08-05-2009, 10:37
I have a 2001 "506" Navistar casting 6.5 in my truck. I never thought to look before the engine went in, but would this have piston cooling nozzles?

Does anyone have a pic that they can post of the cooling nozzles?

Thanks for your help.

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2009, 10:51
It depends on the destination model. If it was equipped and sold as a N/A engine, it may not have them. If it was sold as a TD, it should. I've seen N/A engines with nozzles, but that really doesn't mean anything. In any case, a TD should have them. I have heard, but have not confirmed, at some time since GEP began production, sold the same block for both applications, with the nozzles. I don't know when this was supposedly to have happened. Your truck should have them, according to the application.

Robyn
08-05-2009, 16:32
Here is a Pic of the area of the oil squirt holes and the nozzle that goes in each one.

The little nozzle has a .047" hole through and the tip aims toward the cylinder

a4stargen
08-05-2009, 18:48
Thanks for the pics!! So with just by dropping the oil pan, would you be able to see these nozzles?

914turboford
08-06-2009, 10:57
How does the oil squirt onto the bottom of the piston?

Robyn
08-06-2009, 16:30
A4

With all the rotating assembly in the block it will be virtually impossible to see anything. The nozzles face up into the cylinders and the opening is on the upper part of the mainline webs.

The oil jets squirt up intoi the cylinder to the underside of the piston crown. The idea is to help cool the tops of the pistons.

Under high boost and power the pistons get very hot and the oil spray draws the heat off to where it can be run through the cooler and gotten rid of.

Robyn

914turboford
08-06-2009, 20:37
Based on those photos I don't see how they can spray on the bottoms of the pistons. It looks to me like they would be covered up by the main bearing shells.