PDA

View Full Version : Question about 6.0 silverado

mirvin
08-05-2009, 12:54
Hello all, this will be my second post, I lurk about occasionaly, and find the forums very informative. here is my question
I am contemplating buying a chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0 and auto, how is the tow power, I tow a 5th wheel toybox with a 13000 lb. GVW. I pull over a lot passes getting any where from where I live in Eastern NV. My current 6.5 TD diesel strains hard to top some of these passes.??
Any opinions greatly appreciated Mike...

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2009, 13:34
The 6.0L is a formidable powerplant, but it's no BBC of past, or a Duramax. Your trailer will be very near the trailering weight limit of the truck, even with 4.10 gears. If you get 3.73 gears, it will be too heavy. If you tow often, it will be in your best interest to have a closer look at a Diesel. They (of all brands) will haul your hauler with less effort, and return twice the economy doing it. If you were in the Midwest, and stayed there, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. I tow a large 5'er, like you, and can't go anywhere without a long 6%+ grade. Often, with several others. None of the gassers can keep up, and can't pass a gas station. You can make it work with the gasser, but unless you are looking at an absolutely screaming deal, you really should look closer. Not many folks have the tolerance for passing a grade with the engine screaming at 5 grand just to keep up. Not knowing about your current rig, I'd say any new gasser won't be much improvement over the 6.5L, and use twice (or more) the fuel doing it. Newer Diesels are expensive, but will return the favor if you use them near their ability.

All that said, if you are intent on a gasser, look at older late model GM trucks, with the 8.1L. Very healthy engine, and you have the option of an Allison tranny, and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Thirsty, compared to Diesels, but better than the 6.0L near GCWR.

mirvin
08-05-2009, 13:53
Thanks Dmax for the reply, you brought up some very good points, Ive looked at both the 6.0 and Duramax, theres a dealer north of here I looked at both, I can buy a new gasser for about 33600 or a new Duramax for 43300. I came up few bucks short on the Big D. Was contemplating the gasser with a 3:73. (dont want a 4:10 cause of gas mileage). But its becoming obvious that the gasser would be marginal for the load I pull.I left the dealer with a request to find me a nice 05 or 06 Duramax.
I havent give up on the 6.5 TD just yet, have couple more things to try, but it gets wearisome keeping that thing running..I like the truck, Its got character.. Mike

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2009, 18:31
Given the choice, go for the late 2006 or early 2007 model Duramax (LBZ engine), even if it costs a little more and/or has higher mileage. Earlier will be the LLY, and later is the LMM (LMM = a bunch more smog crap, and less economy). However, any of the model years is far and away better than any gasser.

A 6.0L with 3.73 will die under the load you haul (13K), especially quick through the Sierras/Rockies, and the like. It isn't so much the engine, but the tranny, with the tall gears. No Allison option with the 6.0L. Not to mention beyond the MFG's rated capacity. You'll have to settle for the 4.10, regardless of the mileage, to be legal.

Quack_Addict
08-06-2009, 08:32
I owned a 2002 6.0L 2500HD with 4.10 gears and I severely disliked towing with it - and I was only pulling about half the load you state... and not across the continental divide. The 6.0L is a good powerplant but coupled to the old 4L80E transmission, it was a pretty gutless combination as soon as you connected anything larger than a snowmobile trailer to the hitch. The truck was a crew cab with the 8' bed; I think raw truck weight was around 5300lbs. I averaged approximately 11-12mpg unloaded and somewhere around 7mpg pulling my 23' boat. Passing with the boat in tow required a downhill slope, a tail wind, crossed fingers and a Visa card to add fuel at the next gas station. The engine would wind up so high during hill climbs with the boat in tow that I had visions of the Castrol commercial, the one where the engine blows through the hood on the truck and lands in the middle of the road.

My `06 with the Duramax and 6-speed Allison posts almost double that fuel economy of the '02 and pulls the 23' boat like it's not even there. In the Dmax truck, when it comes to passing with the boat in tow (even with the bed loaded to the gills with about 800-1000 lbs of gear), it is a complete non-issue.

mirvin
08-10-2009, 14:53
for all the input, I am waiting for a D-Max. This info was just what I was needing to make an informed decision. Mike