PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil to the turbo? Smoking and dripping oil.

914turboford
08-06-2009, 10:46
I've got a 6.2 with all '93/94 6.5 stuff on it including IP, turbo, serpentine, etc. I made a custom 1/2" OD high pressure oil line to the turbo, teeing off of the oil pressure sender port on the back of the block. Fresh black oil is leaking out of the exhaust downpipe clamp area, and out of the hose that connects intake to turbo (I forgot to tighten the clamps). Oil also appears to be leaking around the oil return hose, which goes into the fuel pump hole (running electric fuel pump). I did see this turbo run on a sick 6.5 that had one dead hole. I only saw it run for a couple of minutes but it didn't seem to be oiling like that. In fact, there did not appear to be an excessive amount of oil in the intake or exhause when I dissasembled it to put in on the 6.2. Is it possible that this oil problem is due to getting too much oil to the turbo and/or a restriction in the return line? Seems hard to believe that the turbo seals could be that bad.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/914turboford/OilTurboLeak001.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/914turboford/OilTurboLeak002.jpg

Hubert
08-06-2009, 22:32
Was this immediate on assembly and start up?

What is your fitting on the turbo if you used 1/2 line? I think my stock line is like 1/8 but I have never measured it. And I think the front fitting in the head has a smallish drilled hole to the oil gallery. Then again isn't the OPS 1/8 NPT?

Is your oil pressure normal ie nothing over 60psi cold 45psi hot. Its not overfilled and foaming oil pan to make a restriction at outflow of turbo is it?

From the time you took it off to put it on did dirt or animal (dirt dauber) get in exit of turbo oil line?

Hubert
08-07-2009, 06:55
Ooops 1/2 OD aint that big but what is the ID of fittings etc. Are you running a high volume oil pump without piston sprayers?

Does the turbo freewheel fine and make boost ok?

Is the air filter dirty and pulling oil through CDR???? What kind of air filter are you running and intake box?

914turboford
08-07-2009, 10:50
Thanks for the reply, Hubert. Yes, this happened right away, after about 5 minutes of driving with this setup. It is a custom installation, I included a picture of the air cleaner, which is smallish. However, the problem was present on the first drive, with no air cleaner. I have cold oil pressure of about 65 psi, I've got a temporary gage right in the supply line, and the ID of the supply line is 3/8". I guess that is pretty big. I don't think anything got in the return line. It looks like I'm about a 1/2 quart over the top of the operating range, so maybe I have too much oil. I wonder if I left the drive pin for the mechanical fuel pump in? I'll check that when I check to see if the return is blocked. No piston sprayers. It's a HUMVEE 6.2 motor. I may have switched in a '93 6.5 oil pump. I can't remember. Do you think I should restrict my supply line if I don't have a return restriction? Also, the turbo has almost no shaft play.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/914turboford/62AirCleaner.jpg

SmithvilleD
08-07-2009, 13:31
I've seen a turbo install that showed large amounts of oil leakage past the shaft seals. Turbo came with the common plastic plugs in the oil ports. Turned out the plug didn't get removed from the bottom/return port.

Don't know that this is what's happening here, but figured it's worth mentioning.

914turboford
08-07-2009, 18:50
Thanks for the mention. That drive pin for the mechanical fuel pump was still in there. I pulled it out. Then I pulled the intake hat off and ran it and I could see oil running out of the turbo. I'm starting to think the seals are just plain bad. This is a GM3. I've got a GM4 with a smashed cold side housing and impellar. Could I swap the GM3 cold side housing and impellar onto the GM4?

JohnC
08-08-2009, 19:29
How big is your return line? Any restriction at all will cause this kind of problem. There must be no pressure at all on the return side. Also, how is the crankcase vented? A CDR will put negative pressure in the crankcase and help scavenge the oil from the turbo.

Or not... I see from your other post the problem is solved.