PDA

View Full Version : #$@*ing plastic Crankcase Position Sensor

BBCB
08-07-2009, 04:46
The burb is throwing p0355 codes - Crankcase Position Sensor. It's taking an inordinate amount of time to crank and while motoring down the road the diesel "sound" is much more pronounced with less power and lots of black smoke out the tail pipe.

I checked the grounds & they seemed tight & clean, so I looked at the CPS - wiring was not too good at the sensor, and when I removed the bolt, the head of the CPS "fell-off". I'm guessing the 12 years of Texas heat have taken their toll.

Anyways, now I have a rounded "blob" of plastic barely sticking out of the block. I tried inserting a machine screw into the head to give me some additional purchase to pull it out. As it tightened down, the sensor spun - so it appears to not be locked in place, but it is not wanting to come out. With additional pressure on the screw, I pulled the screw out of the sensor.

Is there a trick to this?

I need to get the truck back on the road before next weekend so I can haul the kids and canoes to the river.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

BBCB

Robyn
08-07-2009, 05:29
These can be a real PITA

Having it turn is a good thing. Get a small slide hammer and use a larger screw type adapter for the knocker and gently tap on the thing to dislodge the recalcitrant little beast.

Worst case scenario is that you will need to pull the front cover off and drive the offending little $%^&*( out from the inside.

There is only a small O ring on the sensor and they do get hard over time and stick.

Patience is the best tool to take with you when dealing with this issue.

Good luck

Robyn

BBCB
08-12-2009, 19:58
thanks for the tip - needle-nose vice grips on the screw and a ~30 taps from the leather mallet had it out in one piece. After I got it all back together (ugh!), she started right up, smoothed out the idle very quickly and appears to be back. Tomorrow will see more mileage to ensure she's good for the weekend. If so, 6 more Scout's will be able to go on the Canoe trip this weekend.

Next time your in Houston, PM me - 1st two Shiners are on me. We can break the empties over the head of the ID-10-T engineer that required the power steering pump to be removed to gain the additional 3/8" to insert the sensor.

Again, thanks!

BBCB

Robyn
08-12-2009, 20:05
Glad to hear all is well.

Love it when a plan comes together ;)

Best

Robyn