PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff Problems

StephenA
10-26-2003, 06:09
Anyone familiar with front diff showing engagement lights but not actually turning the axles? My new stepper motor actuator works fine, but no drive to axles.

Jim P - If you email me your email address, I can send you an exploded view of the axle assembly & maybe you could point out the pin you fixed in yours?

Jim P
10-26-2003, 16:35
Stephen,

Sorry I have not gotten back to you. Things have really been hectic around here lately.

The pin that I was refering to is actually just the end of axle. The axle is just turned down to about 1/2 diameter right on the end. This turned down part of the axle goes into a needle bearing to hold the end of the axle steady when the splines are not engaged. The problem that I had was with this pin broke off, it allowed the axle to sag down to where it was not in line with the splined sleeve when it tried to engage. If your splines are engaging this is probably not your problem.

Are you sure that your transfercase is engaging or maybe you just have no splines left on the axle or inside the splined collar.

RocketsDmax
10-26-2003, 17:40
Steve did you install the new style electric actuator in the front diff? If so, did you install the steel plug that goes in befor the actuator?

StephenA
10-27-2003, 06:10
Hi Guys,
Jim, I know what you mean about being busy- no prob.
Rocket, yes, I installed the spacer & got it seated ok.

The T-case is spinning the front drive shaft, so it must be ok.
I can tell the actuator is causing the fork to move the collar over the spline becaquse if I do it while moving, it has a bit of trouble & then engages.
Is the axle diff assembly very tough to remove? There's a rebuild shop in town. Or if I could find a used one, I could rebuild it myself & swap it in?

Jim P
10-27-2003, 14:43
When you are checking to see if the front driveshaft is turning, is the truck on the ground or is it jacked up or on a lift. The reason I ask is because even if the transfercase is not engaging, if all four wheels are on the ground and the truck is moving, the front driveshaft will still turn because the front wheels are driving it.

I would unhook the wires on the front differential and then place the shifter in 4-wheel and check to see if the transfercase is engaging. If it is engaging you should not be able to turn the front driveshaft by hand when you crawl under the truck.

StephenA
10-27-2003, 17:52
Hi Jim,
I put the truck on a lift and the transfer case turned the front drive shaft just fine, but not the front axles...