PDA

View Full Version : identifying motor/block 10237141

ff43sc
09-11-2005, 13:14
i picked up a motor that is supposed to be a 95 6.5l, this one has mechanical injection pump, mechanical fuel pump and no turbo. the block# is 10237141, intake #10154663. any way to tell what year this is, the pump and intake look like my old 6.2l, I want to make sure I got what I paid for....also the oil pressure sender is mounted by #5 intake.
my truck has a 95 6.5l l65 w/electronic injection pump, electric lift pump and ops is on back of motor..sound like a compatible swap? ...thanks.

markrinker
09-11-2005, 19:32
Searched with that casting number on google.com and here is what came back...

http://www.allworldautomotive.com/sitemap/inv/inv6324.html

http://www.rebuiltdieselengines.com/chevy6-5.html

"3. To verify 6.5L vs. 6.2L applications, locate the casting number on rear driver's side of block above flywheel housing. The following is an all-inclusive list of 6.5L block cast numbers: 10149599, 12552929, 10237141, 12555506. All GM 6.5L Long Block Supremes shipped with a 3/8" oil cooler line adaptor."

ff43sc
09-12-2005, 07:17
thanks for the info I searched the internet right after posting this and found this info....I had posted some other questions about swapping engines, can i simply move my turbo/electronics and all my accessories from my turbo engine to the new non-turbo engine? anything special i have to do or are the 6.5l blocks pretty much the same..thanks. i had also noticed a few metal flakes when I drained the old in this used engine...something to be concerned about. don't want to swap in this motor if there could be a problem with the block. thanks

markrinker
09-12-2005, 08:10
All your accessories should swap over to the new longblock no problem. My '98 motor into a '94 chassis swap was a little different, because I was retaining the new cooling mods and GM-8 turbo. Oil lines were different, I replaced them and the cooler with OEM parts. In retrospect, I'd get aftermarket lines and an even larger aftermarket cooler - for less money.

You should do cooling upgrades, fan clutch, and GM-8 turbo, boost control. Timing gears? 3.5" exhaust? Chip? How much do you want to spend?

If the metal flakes big enough to see, I'd be very concerned. If you saved the oil, an analysis would be good - especially if you end up returning this one for another. Document everything.

Most block web cracks are large enough to see, but magnafluxing would uncover any new cracks that are starting. Do you plan to add a stud girdle?