PDA

View Full Version : 88 - 98 Frames

MJMullinII
08-10-2009, 11:35
Good day everyone.

I'm in the process of looking for a good used 1 ton truck SRW truck to act as donor to my 1989 GMC Sierra 1/2. In short, I've already repainted the cab and box, so I'm looking to transplant my freshly repainted box and cab on a 1 ton frame (with it's heavier axle, heavier front end, etc.)

The motor currently in it (5.7l - 350 gas : 210hp, 300lbs torque) is in good shape and is dependable. However, I'm thinking about upgrading to a diesel.

I can't see a time in the near or even midterm future where I'll be able to afford a Duramax conversion, so...I'm thinking about a 6.5l Turbo Diesel.

My thinking is that its default power ratings are about equal to my current 5.7l gasser, except it will most likely get better mileage.

My question is are the frames from the 88 - 98 Chevy/GMC models the same? I know the trucks look very similiar in general shape, I'm just wondering if there are places where the frames are incompatible (meaning where it would be impossible to sit my 89 Cab and Box on them).

If they are compatible, it would really open up my horizons on used vehicles (a ten year span means a lot of used vehicles to choose from, etc.) *AND* it means I can wait until I find a good, used 6.5l Diesel powered 1 ton and accomplish both goals at once (1/2 ton to 1 ton conversion, and gas to diesel conversion).

Sorry for being so long winded (:)).