PDA

View Full Version : Engines that will fit?

xseabee
10-26-2003, 08:58
How big (physically) are engines like the 8.2L Detroit and the 3208 Caterpillar? Would they fit in our trucks? I saw someone put an 8.2 in a 80's Chevy one ton on ebay. I guessing the one ton frame would be mandatory with engines this size.
What other diesel engines would fit, (OK, except the Navistar's....can't put a "Ford" diesel in a Chevy! ;) ) The 8.2 looked interesting from a swap perspective, but it doesn't look like parts are readily available.

What I'd like to have is an engine with more power, louder diesel "clatter", mechanical injection, that is durable and won't be cracking blocks and heads. In the end, the Cummins may just be the only one that is feasable but I'd sure love to find a better V8. I've read the 4L80E won't handle something like a 3208 Cat, that's another bridge to cross. :)

Thanks,
Mark

'94 C2500 XCAB SB 2WD 6.5TD L56 4L80E 3.73 121,000 Mi FSD Cooler, Gutted Cat, Snorkel Gone, otherwise stock.

whatnot
10-26-2003, 10:52
A Duramax would probably be the easiest to fit in but isn't loud or mechanical injection.

Kidd
10-26-2003, 14:42
GM put the 8.2 and 3208 into the 3 ton trucks.
We had a few at work, you would need to lift the cab at least 8 inches for vertical clearance, and maybe ding your inner fender liners. The trucks equipped with the 3208 came with a fiberglass tilt hood.. no other way to get to the oil filters and it was still very tight.
On the other hand, 3208 Cat engines are available for reasonable prices. Might go that route myself if the 6.5 self destructs.

K.D.

Bobbie Martin
10-26-2003, 16:10
What I'd like to have is an engine with more power, louder diesel "clatter", mechanical injection, that is durable and won't be cracking blocks and heads Fit a DB2 pump and maybe a couple of upgrades and you can get the first three real easy.
With proper cooling you shouldn't have head problems and there are fixes for the block problem. A lot less work than fitting another engine.

goodmonkey
10-27-2003, 06:02
I like the possibilities electronic injection hold, but I'm not too keen on the poor reliablity of the DB4. I'd switch to the DB2, but with my 4L80E under there, I worry about the problems with the PCM.

What I'd like to see is an old Detroit 6-71 under the hood. My dad has gone on about wanting one of these in a pickup for years. The two stroke design of these bad boys certinally give them a unique sound, one unlike you'd ever be able to get from the 6.5. That's my two cents worth. ;)

Dimsdale
10-27-2003, 10:57
Someone on the board stuffed an Isuzu straight six into a Suburban, and was very pleased with the final product. Given that GM and Isuzu are nearly one and the same, matching bits and pieces would probably be simpler.

What about the smaller 4 cyl Cummins that puts out some respectable power. I think it is the 4BT or something. (no, I am not afraid of four cylinders, having had a 3.2L International engine for years.