PDA

View Full Version : 6.5l gear reduction starter on 6.2l block

Mikey von
08-16-2009, 16:24
Are these a direct bolt on? My starter housing cracked and I am looking for a replacement.

DmaxMaverick
08-16-2009, 19:16
Yes. You will need a 6.5L (GR starter) bracket. (helps prevent broken starter housings......and bolts......and blocks)

Mikey von
08-16-2009, 21:43
I previously had the gear reduction starter with braces. Are those going to be the same braces? Basically, are there two different types of gear reduction starters? It sounds like no.

DmaxMaverick
08-16-2009, 22:11
One DD (Direct Drive), and one GR starter. Each has their own bracket, and they are not interchangeable. If your DD didn't have a bracket, probably the reason for the cracked housing. About as predictable as sunrise.

FYI:
GR's are smaller, lighter, and a bunch easier to handle and install, compared to DD's. However, I'd take a good (OEM-NO aftermarket brand junk) DD over any GR any day. More reliable, and higher performance. If you have a GM (Delco-Remy) DD starter laying around, working or not, get it refreshed at a local motor-generator shop. Usually, the local overhaul cost is considerably less than a parts house reman (of any type), and they'll work better, longer. Given the option, DD's every time.

Robyn
08-17-2009, 07:57
X2 YESSSSSSSS
The little gear reduction starters are OK :confused: when new or rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing.

The Direct drive units like Maverick mentioned are the cats meow.

The reason that GM went to the GR starters was not because they were better but instead because they have less copper windings and COST less.

The GR is a bunch lighter in physical weight.

I have used them both and do prefer the Old Direct drive starters.
The DD's hog a little more power than the GR's do but just make sure your cables are good.

Again, MAKE SURE you have the tail hook (Bracket) on the end of the starter and up to the block.

An easy way to reach the bracket is to remove the RH front tire/wheel and then unsnap the rubber weather flap on the inner fender.

WHOA, its all right there in front of you and easy to reach. The starter wiring and the tail hook, bolts and all. :D

Cuts the time to do an R&R to very little with far less colorful metafores being used to anoy the neighbors. :rolleyes:

Robyn

john8662
08-17-2009, 09:24
Is this your post here too:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325057

kinda redundant don't ya think...

DmaxMaverick
08-17-2009, 11:02
Nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion (or however many you think you need). I highly recommend it, in most cases.

Mikey von
08-17-2009, 17:22
I usually post most my messages in triplicate; here, thedieselplace, and CK5. This place has most in depth knowledge, thedieselplace has good knowledge and a lot of traffic, CK5 is home.

My burb had the gear reduction, but I broke the nose/casing when I hydro-locked it. I also have a working direct drive starter off a 85 K5 6.2L. I will run with the larger direct drive and make sure I get the correct bracket on it.