PDA

View Full Version : Truck off in Ditch full of water

MicroRacer
09-03-2003, 12:08
My truck had the right side of it completely amerced in water. After getting the truck towed back home I checked the oil and there appears to be no water in the oil. The right side of the engine (turbo) was in water and I believe that both my batteries are shot. The left side of my engine looked completely dry.

What exactly should I do before I try to start the truck? How long should I let the truck dry out before I try to start it?

I've never had this happen so I could definitely use a few pointers. I figures that I would do this when I have had the truck running perfect.

Alf
09-03-2003, 12:33
I would be concerned about water in the passenger side cylinders, having entered through an open exhaust or intake if the turbo was under water. Hydraulic lock can do all kinds of damage.
Suggest you pull injectors or maybe just the glow plugs, then turn the motor over by hand to make sure any water in the cylnders gets pushed out.

whatnot
09-03-2003, 13:09
Did the aircleaner go under? If not, the engine should be dry inside but it wouldn't hurt to check by removing the glow plugs.
If it did go under, I would take off the turbo hoses and make sure there is no water in them or the turbo. Also do what was mentioned above.

It would also be a good idea to either change the oil or at least make sure their is no water in it.

MicroRacer
09-03-2003, 14:00
I did find water in the air cleaner box so it's I'm off to pull the glow plugs.

matt-max
09-03-2003, 15:02
how 'bout that rain, hoosier?

my 96 2500 had the motor replaced under insurance by previous owner who drove into a flooded road towing a gooseneck at night down by brown county state park a few years ago.

might try that if you have full coverage.

best of luck!
matt

ucdavis
09-03-2003, 18:15
Mud is pervasive stuff when allowed to flow with water. Check both sides of turbo (knowing the air cleaner side got water, I'd flush the intake side of turbo) & wastegate for crud.
If edge of radiator got immersed, you may have blockage there & AC condenser too. Other coolers that might have taken a swim?
Starter motor? Tranny bell housing?
Oil changes are better warmed up, but I'd take an exception for crankcase & tranny in your situation.
Ask at your local boat dealer/mechanic & tell him/her the story; most have experience w/immersion of gas engines.

Dvldog 8793
09-03-2003, 20:40
Howdy
Was the computer/electronics under water? I've delt with many flood recovered vehicles and can say that it can be a REAL pain down the road. Also don't forget about power steering, alt, brakes, diffs, wheel bearings, ect...
As to the motor, I had EXTENSIVE experience with emersed diesels in the Marines. All we did was drop all fluids, pull glow plugs, turn over by hand several revolutions, flush the fuel system, refill everything and start em up. Granted this was in Hummers that designed to run under water.
Have fun!
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley

tom.mcinerney
09-05-2003, 20:02
if a battery was sumerged it probably dead, and it might have discharged the other, but that should recharge. Hopefully your trans is manual shifter. If elect trans, then the wire harness connector at trans a concern. do look at computer -PCM. good practice to rinse all that was wetted with pure water to wash off salts, which promote chronic corrosion.

Dvldog 8793
09-05-2003, 20:13
Howdy again
Tom brings a good point. When I worked for Motorola we used a product called blue shower. It works great for removing any bad stuff from electrical conections/ICBs ect...
Have fun!
L8r
Conley