PDA

View Full Version : mechanical vs electrical fan

pologuy14
08-17-2009, 16:52
i found the PAC-2700 (http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=641/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd641.htm) & is perfect for setting up a dual speed fan. i am contimplating using one of the electronic 3.8 ford taurus fans. they advertise 2500 cfm on low & up to 4500 on hi. how do these #'s compare to the stock mechanical fan. i kno gm had different fans w/ different # of blades & pitch installed w/ different clutches as well. im just looking for ballpark #s.
1990 N/A(for now) 6.2

i already own a couple of the fans & would like to use them somewhere sometime.

john8662
08-17-2009, 20:53
Not sure on the CFM there, but the most I've seen are the 3500 CFM fans, usually in the 15" range. I got a SPAL 3500 CFM fan in box that I plan on matching to mate the pair on the drag truck. I think with two controllers, like the SPAL controller (ramps speed, not on/off) it's be really consistent at cooling things.

But, with that said, I'm only intersted in the electric fans for the ability of cooling the engine and taking little HP/TQ to run, for racing. The fan clutch works now for street racing and such...

It would take two 3000 CFM fans to do the job.

Making the shroud, now that's going to be a little fun.

J