PDA

View Full Version : Tighten (PMD) Driver Nuts??

tommac95
08-25-2009, 13:02
I'm about to install a (factory) New FuelInjectionPump (DS4) on my 6.5. I see the new pump includes a PMD!
Should i dismount the PMD and re-torque the mounting nuts for the transistors, or is Stanadyne thought to be taking the Quality Control on their PMD production line a bit more seriously now ?

I have a Beta HeatTransferPad in hand ... i just want to know if it is "Known" whether Stanadyne is 'on reservation' Yet !!
Thanks ,
-T m

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2009, 13:14
The nuts loosen over time/use. Actually, the nuts don't "loosen", the materials they are clamping "shrinks". They are tightened to spec when new, and tightening them more would likely cause damage.

Don't know about Stanadyne. Your guess is as good as mine. Nothing historical indicates any notion of logical action taken.

tommac95
08-27-2009, 09:43
Thanks , DMax ...
just checking !
- T m

john8662
08-27-2009, 12:39
What color is the PMD? Black or Grey? If Black, see if the place you got the pump will get you the updated Grey (current version, supposed to be improved, again) version.

tommac95
10-08-2009, 21:22
OK, my report:

First , thanks to DMax for observing that generally these beasts do well , but eventually require maintenance.

I decided i needed to check out the PMD fastening scene.

> The screws 'securing' the PMD to the FIP were ALL loose. There was no indication the HeatTransferPads had ever endured any torque (so i just tightened the screws , re-using the HTP.
This was only the second PMD that i've removed (first was on a remanufactured FIP). In both cases One of the four screws had molded threads into the plastic PMD casing. I think this results from tightening up one screw before the others, 'cocking' the assembly on an angle.
> Three of the Driver transistor screws were OK , one a bit loose....

Thus:
Snugging the PMD mounting screws might void the warranty , but not checking/snugging them might not allow the heat to sink.... This was a new Stanadyne FIP in the box, bought last spring , from a fuel injection shop on LI, NY.

- T m

Platina Cruiser
10-08-2009, 23:16
I can't see why tightening those screw would void your warranty. Isn't it something you must do according to maintenance regulations?

gmenor
10-11-2009, 17:18
When I replaced my IP the first thing I did was to remove the PMD from the IP and threw it in the glove box. I have been running on my remote mounted one for over a year. Nice to know that I now have 2 back up PMDs.