PDA

View Full Version : If there was only a way to burn old motor oil

TurboDiverArt
09-11-2005, 17:44
Not much to this post. I was at the racetrack tonight dumping off 30 gallons of used oil while I was getting my racecar re-certified. Dumping off used waste oil at the track is a common occurrence for me since the car takes 2 gallons of oil and is changes after each event. Add to that changing the oil in the truck every 6-7 weeks and it accumulates pretty quickly. As I

trbankii
09-11-2005, 18:04
I know that some of the big rig fleets actually do dump the motor oil into the diesel. It is an automatic system. There is oil in a reservoir and every so many miles a quart (or two or whatever) of the current oil is dumped into the fuel tank and new oil is dumped into the system. They only change the filters. For a large fleet, they are saving tons of money on disposal fees.

DA BIG ONE
09-12-2005, 00:44
Originally posted by trbankii:
I know that some of the big rig fleets actually do dump the motor oil into the diesel. It is an automatic system. There is oil in a reservoir and every so many miles a quart (or two or whatever) of the current oil is dumped into the fuel tank and new oil is dumped into the system. They only change the filters. For a large fleet, they are saving tons of money on disposal fees. Now, only if this could be applied to our rigs. Wonder what goes into such a system, and costs?

markrinker
09-12-2005, 04:04
I'm sure the 'poor man' approach of dumping in up to 1/2 quart per tank full wouldn't even be noticable. Don't see why you'd clog filters, probably would be good for the IP.

I am adding about 4oz of synthetic 2-cycle oil to each 25 gallon tankfull of #2 diesel in my new Dmax. (Don't know if it does any good, but it makes me feel good...)

Hubert
09-12-2005, 04:09
Off topic but
What do they do with the waste motor oil in your state?

SC a few years ago started charging $0.20 per quart (I think that was on the last reciept I looked at) tax on motor oil as disposal fee like the $2.00/tire fee.

I have seen heaters that burn waste oil and heard they can re- refine it to gas or fuel at a ~ 97% effeciency.

Also heard power stations can burn it for power generation too??? One of the electric cooperative collects it around here and figure they get a tax break and almost free power out of it.

trbankii
09-12-2005, 06:26
Did a couple searches trying to find the system, no luck yet. I saw this a couple years ago - a trucker was showing it to me. There was a unit that sat below his seat so that he could see it every time he got in the cab. Had readouts for the reserve tank oil level, how many hours were on the current filter, and the ability to set how much and how often the oil was cycled through from reservoir to use to dumped into the fuel tank. He was driving for one of the bigger fleets, cannot remember what fleet it was though. So basically he just had to make sure that the reservoir was full and change the filters when the warning light came on.

96ccdd
09-12-2005, 06:51
Buy an waste oil heater for you shop.
http://www.cleanburn.com/

RT
09-12-2005, 16:12
I pour used motor oil from gassers like my inlaws Camry right in the fuel tank of my 93 C2500. No filtering, nothing. I have had no problems with a gallon of waste oil added before filling up with diesel to make sure it thoroughly mixes. I have heard that used diesel motor oil is harsher on the IP and injectors since the soot is abrasive and submicronic so the fuel filter is definitely not trapping it. I have used the waste diesel motor oil in the past just in lower concentrations of 1-2qts at a time. I have had no problems with doing this just a little more smoke so I try to run the waste oil "additive" on long highway trips where I know the engine will be hot and working for a while. Waste oil from a race car that has very little use on it I wouldn't hesitate to pour it in the tank. Be advised I have a mechanical IP, I am due for a new IP (original at 223K) and injectors, so I don't mind taking a chance. Works for me, YRMV. RT

NH2112
09-12-2005, 16:15
I've run up to about 25% waste engine oil without any adverse effects, other than longer cranking times on cold starts. I don't think I would have wanted to use it in the wintertime, though.

trbankii
09-13-2005, 04:18
Originally posted by 96ccdd:
http://www.cleanburn.com/ I'd say that with all things considered, this may be the best way to go if you are just looking for a use for the oil. Less chance of screwing up your truck.

AndyL
09-13-2005, 05:34
How about burning used oil in my central Oil burning furnace?

trbankii
09-13-2005, 07:44
I had a co-worker that did that. Not sure exactly how a waste oil furnace differs from a normal one actually. I'd filter it first, but that's just me. Less likely to do damage to the furnace than your vehicle would be my opinion.

tom.mcinerney
09-22-2005, 07:50
Art--
see Phil's post (NH2112). If you'd asked this two years ago, most would've answered along that line. My truck was previously owned by a TDP member , and the fuel filter i changed out had a lot of black . I believe even Dr Lee advised 10% motor oil was fine. It probably would pay to filter it though....I'm intending to do that; will no longer dump oil worth $3/gal!

DmaxMaverick
09-22-2005, 08:04
Originally posted by tom mac 95:
Art--
see Phil's post (NH2112). If you'd asked this two years ago, most would've answered along that line. My truck was previously owned by a TDP member , and the fuel filter i changed out had a lot of black . I believe even Dr Lee advised 10% motor oil was fine. It probably would pay to filter it though....I'm intending to do that; will no longer dump oil worth $3/gal! That black on the filter may not have been from motor oil. Even good fuel will blacken a filter if left in long enough.

On the subject, I've burned my waste oil in the '85 at almost every oil change, which has been a lot of them. There was no noticeable change with 8 qts in about 30 gallons, and it obviously didn't hurt anything. I only added the Blazer's own change oil, none from any other source.

Marty Lau
09-22-2005, 11:47
http://www.cleanburn.com/ The local Cat dealer heats all their buildings with waste oil, infact durring some of the more moderate winters all their storage is full and they have a bunch of 55gal drums of the stuff sitting around. Also a ranch I hunt on there is a sign in sheet in their shop. The shop is heated with waste oil and they keep it toasty in there all winter.

NH2112
09-22-2005, 15:27
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
That black on the filter may not have been from motor oil. Even good fuel will blacken a filter if left in long enough.

The black wasn't in the filter, but rather in the bowl of my Racor secondary and also when I drained it to check for water.

TurboDiverArt
09-22-2005, 15:45
http://www.cleanburn.com/ Be nice if someone made a smaller unit. I'd love to heat my garage with it but even the smallest unit is 140,000 BTU and burns up to a gallon an hour. I'm planning to have a natural gas unit installed this winter into my garage.

Art.

DmaxMaverick
09-22-2005, 16:36
NH2112

TM95 made the reference to his FILTER being black.

One fill of bad fuel, or deteriorating fuel lines/components can cause black sediment to accumulate in a filter bowl. If you are getting a significant amount of sediment in your SECONDARY filter, you should have a close look at your PRIMARY filter, and the components between them, including the fuel pump. It all depends on how you have your fuel system plumbed.

NH2112
09-22-2005, 17:03
DMaxMaverick,

You're right, I'd posted about my waste oil experiences in another forum as well and didn't check my first post here before replying to yours. Mea culpa!

At the time, the way my fuel system was plumbed was: mechanical pump, primary filter (Standadyne Model 80), then secondary filter (Racor R45.) I wasn't getting sediment in the secondary filter, just fuel colored black due to the waste oil in it. I'd actually never had a water problem with my fuel, but especially in the winter I made a point of draining both filters on a weekly basis. Normally I'd just visually check the secondary's bowl, but I wasn't sure if the soot in the waste engine oil would "color" or hide any water so I figured draining off a pint or so was the safest bet.

Ratau
09-23-2005, 00:21
Did anyone tried to mix say 10% to 20% used diesel oil to diesel and left it on a shelve in a clear container to see if the black stuff goes to the bottom? If that works one could basically wash the oil with diesel and this could be a way to get rid off the black sediment.

DA BIG ONE
09-23-2005, 00:30
Originally posted by Ratau:
Did anyone tried to mix say 10% to 20% used diesel oil to diesel and left it on a shelve in a clear container to see if the black stuff goes to the bottom? If that works one could basically wash the oil with diesel and this could be a way to get rid off the black sediment. Great idea, I'd bet this would work well!

TurboDiverArt
09-23-2005, 01:23
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ratau:
Did anyone tried to mix say 10% to 20% used diesel oil to diesel and left it on a shelve in a clear container to see if the black stuff goes to the bottom? If that works one could basically wash the oil with diesel and this could be a way to get rid off the black sediment. Great idea, I'd bet this would work well! </font>[/QUOTE]Interesting idea. Put a drain on the bottom with a filter then into the truck.

Art.