PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler/AC condenser/radiator maintenance

jerry598
08-26-2009, 09:06
I removed my oil cooler yesterday as part of my engine R&R project. Found a solid mat of dirt/debris sandwiched between the A/C condenser and the oil cooler. There's no doubt in my mind that the cooler was not working well with the air flow blocked like that.

The truck is a 95 w/ 126k miles on it and the cooler has never been removed since I bought the truck 30k mile ago.

I carefully used an air compressor, wire brush and a pressure washer to clean the cooler and the condenser (the radiator was previously removed). I was amazed at the amount of dirt that came out of the condenser when it was washed, sprayed from the inside out.

I would recommend that anyone who has one of these rigs should clean these items once in awhile.

I overlooked the oil cooler when I first removed the radiator for R&R at 100k miles. At that time, the truck was overheating on hills, and I found more than half the radiator surface was covered by a mat of debris sandwiched between it and the A/C condenser. The debris could not be seen without removing the cap on top of the radiator/AC condensor.

fixitman4710
09-25-2011, 14:29
hey jerry i want to remove my oil to service. im new to chevy diesel 6.5.
mine is 98 with 170,000 miles k3500. im not sure how the lines come loose. are they quik connects and just pull out.

thanks for any help.

steve n.carolina

jerry598
06-29-2014, 10:24
Sorry for this very belated response. You probably have the job finished by now. But, anyway.........

The fittings on the oil cooler itself can be removed with a 3/4 inch wrench and then just pull the line out. Of course you have to remove the front grille to get to it. Be ready for the gooey black stuff to run out all over the place.

The fittings in the block located back by the oil filter are quick connect, held in place by those cheap little clips. There is also a support bracket for the lines attached to the front of the driver's side motor mount. Removing that front, angled skid plate(?), centered under the truck about a foot back from the bumper, allows best access to the support bracket on my 4X4.

The R&R on these OEM lines is not an easy job, especially if the truck is not on a hoist. If your budget permits, spring for a new braided steel oil line kit (also not an easy install). I'm in the process of installing one of these kits right now. It's a bit harder than just putting OEM lines back on. But those OEM lines are sure prone to leaks. My most recent set started leaking after only 13K miles.