PDA

View Full Version : Are two block heaters better?

jerry598
08-28-2009, 14:49
Would it be a good idea to add a second block heater now that I have my engine out?

I'd then have one on the driver's side and one on the P side. Will the hole on the P side accept a block heater?

The idea here is simply to have a backup in case one fails, and of course, faster warm up using two of them, provided the garage wiring can handle the load.

HH
08-28-2009, 18:36
You can do it, but it will interfere with the starter brace. You can also get one that goes in line with your lower rad hose.

DmaxMaverick
08-28-2009, 19:13
If you're that serious about block heat, go with a fuel fired heater. They work all the time, any time, anywhere. More expensive, but the cat's whiskers when it comes to block heat. Later models are electronically programmable, to preheat at specific times, and they'll heat the cab, run the engine as necessary, and have your truck ready to hit the road at any specific time. If you live in the real cold country, it'll even warm up for you, before you get off work.

If you insist on the dual electric block heater idea, you can do it. The passenger side is a PITA to get to, but it'll fit, and work. I know of several folks who have done it successfully.

Robyn
08-29-2009, 07:12
Overkill me thinks.

I have owned many rigs (diesels) and never had a block heater fail to work during cold weather.

A single heater in the LH side (factory position) is all thats needed to take care of even the worst cold that we see in the lower 48 and probably anywhere in North America.

As Maverick mentioned, the fuel fired units (Blue heat is a name that comes to mind) are the tweeky little divice to use.

Great for large trucks with huge engines. These can also be set up to help with auxilliary heat for the cab/sleeper too.

Bottom line, the single block heater that comes stock with the 6.2/6.5 will do fine.

Robyn

jerry598
08-29-2009, 09:28
OK, I won't spend the extra $$ then, but I should probably replace the existing heater since it may be the original, and 15 years old now. Don't ya think?

rogers
08-30-2009, 13:09
I am moving to Alaska in a few months. I plan on using the factory block heater and an oil pan heater to help on cold mornings. Should help it spin more freely and maybe get oil through the engine more quickly.

Artworks
09-05-2009, 19:14
I have had 2 block heaters in mine when I got the 'hummer' engine 5 yrs ago. Having both makes for quick starts and everything is warmed up early. Temp guage move up as soon as you start after being plugged in. Only draw back is some 110v /115v circuits won't hold the extra draw. I had 2 block heaters in my '83 Ford 460, and boy did it help on realy cold mornings, especially when trying to shift the manual trans. all that metal was warm and oil wasn't so cold eather. Go for it, if you find you don't need it , don't use it, but it cheap insurance for those time it get really cold -30 & -40 and you have to go.

Robyn
09-06-2009, 05:26
Not a bad idea to have a fresh heater in the block

I always make it standard procedure to replace the heaters when an engine is out of the truck for major work.

Soft plugs too if the engine has any amount of miles on it.

If you live in an area that gets REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALY cold, two heaters could be a plus but for most areas the single heater is just fine for good clean starts.

Last winter I was starting the Burb without being plugged in at temps down to 10F and without any issues at all.

One glow cycle and off to the rodeo.

Now I do use the block heater on the Big truck year round. I do this as a preventive maintenance plan.

That huge engine is warm all the time. There is little to no cold soak hose leaks and such, the cab gets heat (winter) right quick and as you mentioned the tranny shifts better too.

I looked over a study done by a local rock company a few years ago that found overall maintenance costs were far less when keeping the engines plugged in any time they were not running.

Overall engine wear was reduced substantially. Little things like alternators and starters showed longer life spans too. (Probably due to the grease in the bearings being viable when warm)

Seals dont have to adjust to the hot and cold ranges of temps.
Oil flows quickly to all parts of the engine.
The casting does not see the many many expansion cycles (at least not as much)
Gaskets are not stressed due to the expansion and contraction (less leaks)

Now all this said, then why not do it with the pickup and small rigs.

I dont because of the cost of running several heaters year around.
The truck has a 1500 watt block heater in the oil cooler and that puppy loves to make the electric meter sing :eek:

Same reasoning could be used to do this with the small rigs but I am not sure it would be overall cost effective or at least to the degree that it is with the big rigs.

Example

Even with new hoses on the big trucks cooling system and using constant torque clamps (Has a spring device to keep the band tight) if let stand cold for a few days there will soon be drips of antifreeze showing up at the hose connections.

This may not show up with recently replaced hoses but will within a month or two of running.

Just a matter of crunching the numbers and counting the costs.

I have had far less maintenance on the rig after keeping the block heater in use while the truck is parked in the yard.

Biggest item is the cold antifreeze leaks (readily seen as I would need to add coolant more often)

Engine has 570,000 now and doing well.

Plug it in-plug it in. Hmmmm,Oh yeah that was a slogan for a stinky smell good thingy for the house. :D

Robyn

tommac95
09-09-2009, 07:25
i installed two in mine , just to have a spare if/when needed. psgr side works , a tight fit ...

KingNuzz
09-13-2009, 14:57
I am moving to Alaska in a few months. I plan on using the factory block heater and an oil pan heater to help on cold mornings. Should help it spin more freely and maybe get oil through the engine more quickly.

My vote. We added an oil pan heater when we were in Fairbanks, to heat the oil from the bottom up.

I wouldn't bother with a second standard block heater.

Robyn
09-13-2009, 19:10
For areas that routinely get down below the teens, the pan warmer is a great idea.

I can remember using a dipstick heater one winter many years ago.
I was visiting friends over in the little high alpine town of Halfway Oregon.

It got down to 35 below F and the rig I had would not go to well.

1976 Ford F250 with a 427 cammer in it.
Damn, nothing wanted to work real good in that temp.

Dipstick heater did the trick for the two weeks I was there visiting.

Missy

DaveNY
09-14-2009, 07:50
Have used pan heater on 3208 boat engines for 6 years, Peel and stick on bottom of pan. Google"Wolverine" They work great, instant oil pressure and you can put small one on tranny.
Dave