PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 turbo POWER

engineeradam
08-28-2009, 18:33
I got a questions about "turboing" a 6.5. If I buy a marine engine with the 18.1 pistons, could I get a lot more boost and power? also with a center mount turbo could you keep dual exhaust. Or what about dual turbos. AM I dreaming, should I stick with a single turbo and single exhaust. I like dual exhaust and want more power? ANy info would be appreciated. THis would be done on a 93 6.5 with the mechanical fuel pump and turbo.

Hubert
08-28-2009, 19:00
Dual turbos I guess is doable but if you have to ask how it aint gonna happen. It takes all custom fabbed stuff no aftermarket not for the faint of heart. I am not sure I could do it with lots of tubing and money to waste on trial and error. Only read of a few.

One bigger turbo is plenty for the 6.5 with aftermarket bigger exhaust. 18:1 helps in durability and allows you to add more fuel (which will make more boost) with safety margin but in and of itself doesn't add power.

Read up on the different total build strategies of several high powered 6.5's so you understand the limitations and interaction of different add ons / changes.

Robyn
08-29-2009, 07:26
A dual turbo setup is possible although not practical in a pickup.

The dual exhaust is gonna be a real PITA to keep it a real dual.

Now you can certainly split the flow at the end of the down pipe and run duals.

The 18:1 engines are great if you are planning to run loads of boost and use the thing to tow heavy loads.

A factory turbo has its issues and is less than optimum but will work OK.
The best solution would be one of the aftermarket setups that will flow more air with less residual backpressure.

Several articles have benn posted here on just that subject.

If you want I daily driver that sees the very occasional tow of the toys and or some hauling, I would keep the compression in the 20:1 arena.

A stock engine (comp ratio) will start easier in the cold.

The only real benefit to the 18:1 engine is its ability to handle a lot more boost and fuel without having problems with exhaust gas temps.

Keep in mind though that a charge air cooler is needed to benefit from the engines ability to accept that boost.

A center mount turbo can't be used in a normal truck application as there is not enough room at the rear of the engine to accomodate the turbo and the plumbing.

A Marine application can pretty well allow whatever you desire in many cases.

Have fun

Missy

engineeradam
08-29-2009, 18:25
I want the route thatll give the most power, and all the racing diesels have dual turbos, but if I switch to a centermount turbo do you still only have a single exhaust pipe, I don't know how the center mount works

Robyn
08-29-2009, 19:57
The center mount work work on a truck AT ALL

The center mounts were designed for Van applications and the Block has different thin gs back there to feed oil to and from the Turbo

I nice Holset turbo will shove more air into your little diesel rat than it can use.

The center mounts do use a single outlet.

A dual turbo setup as I said is possible but unless you are going to aftercool and really stuff some fuel into this beast its probably not worth the effort.

The reason for not getting real excited herfe is that the cooling system in a truck (any pickup) is simply not large enough to handle the heat rejection from major fueling and such.

About 300Hp at the shaft is about the limits for the 6.5 and keeping it cool and not Melting the creature.

Have fun

Missy

rogers
08-30-2009, 13:03
If you are looking for the best turbo set up around you should check out Ron Schoolcraft's website. The very best set up for a 6.5/6.2 engine that money can buy, imho. It allows you to keep stock placement, oil feed, etc. but still flows better that anything else out there (based on the flow charts). Wont give you the "cool" factor of having twin turbo, but much more workable.

tank140
09-01-2009, 01:32
Hi mate

I recently made a center mount turbo for my GMC 6.5 engine and it is working great she is a standard stock 6.5 engine here are some photos,

I used a GM8 turbo on my set-up with an adjustable waste gate control,

If you want twin pipes just add a "Y" pipe at the bottom of the exhaust out-let under the transmition.

my set-up is in a Landrover defender over here in the sunny UK but if there is enough room at the rear of the engine this could be done to any truck i gess.

cheers
tank

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/DSC00486.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/DSC00478.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/DSC00480.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/Photo074.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/Photo052.jpg

suburbanK-2500HD
09-01-2009, 05:35
Wont the CDR valve get problems mounted like that.
Its getting pressure from the turbo side ?
Just wondering

Nice setup.

tank140
09-01-2009, 07:25
Hi mate

Well spoted!! yes it did i got loads of preasure buid up and oil pissed everywhere now got it roughted properly into the intake

cheers
tank