PDA

View Full Version : finding an alternator

pologuy14
08-29-2009, 18:26
i have searched on line for a couple days & called to a couple part store sbut no luck. im looking for at least a 100 amp alternator with the w terminal so i can use a tachometer.

i burn veggie oil & have electric heaters so it would be nice to have a few extra amps then the stock 74 amp the part stores keep trying to throw at me. any help would be awsome

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2009, 21:50
Try THIS SITE (http://www.alternatorparts.com/).

pologuy14
08-30-2009, 11:07
thanks i'll give them a call on monday.

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2009, 11:30
Depending on your vehicle, you may have a dual alternator option. Once you acquire the parts, it's an easy install in any vehicle.

pologuy14
08-30-2009, 14:44
that did cross my mind. my idea if i were to run 2 alts, was have a 3rd battery that ran all the inside cab stuff. & have a stock alt w/ the tach pick up charge the 2 "starting" batteries

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2009, 17:49
Having a 3rd battery wouldn't be a bad idea, if you're worried about being stuck with dead batteries behind your back. I suggest a battery isolator system, rather than an alternator isolator system. Easier, less expensive, and more reliable (not to mention it's an OEM option, so parts are readily available). Unless you plan on a complete rewire of the entire vehicle, you won't be able to separate the in-cab functions from the engine/chassis. Better to isolate your fuel heat needs from the system, and isolate one battery to those needs (only that battery in the circuit during engine-off episodes).

What vehicle are we discussing? could make a difference.