PDA

View Full Version : Altenator Question

Luis
08-30-2009, 06:30
I had to replace my batteries the other day...(Wouldn't start) Put new batteries in and it started right up; even faster than before. I did notice the day after the battery gauge was lower than usual. It was right on 14v but usually just it's just above 14v. It's back to the normal position now but occasionally it has a power drop (identified by the lower fan speed or sound)
Truck has 135k and this is the factory original alternator. Should I replace it to be on the safe side? Just trying to prevent any down time...Thanks

Mark Rinker
08-30-2009, 07:41
I wouldn't throw parts at it - have the alternator tested first. Or, if you travel alot, like I do - maybe buy the new one and carry it with you just to have a ready spare? A spare serpentine belt would be nice as well...

The two new batteries were probably in order, but the alternators last a long time these days, I have only replaced one on all my Duramax trucks owned, and that was at >200K...

Luis
08-30-2009, 13:23
Thanks Mark...That's a great idea; I'll carry a spare (with my spare serpentine belt) and get as many miles out of her as I can ...LA

leolkfrm
09-05-2009, 11:21
was the drop at startup? it would be normal