PDA

View Full Version : US vs Canadian Headlights

78Chev
08-31-2009, 15:25
My headlight switch has the usual auto, parking, and headlamp positions but I can never make it just go into parking light mode. I read in the manual that trucks built for the Canadian market (mine was: 2006 GMC Duramax) have over-ridden the parking light option so that lights are always auto-on. Anyone know of a way to change so I have more flexibility? Thanks.
Randy

convert2diesel
08-31-2009, 20:38
My headlight switch has the usual auto, parking, and headlamp positions but I can never make it just go into parking light mode. I read in the manual that trucks built for the Canadian market (mine was: 2006 GMC Duramax) have over-ridden the parking light option so that lights are always auto-on. Anyone know of a way to change so I have more flexibility? Thanks.
Randy

Randy:

The Canadian spec trucks have a module that turns on the low beams when ever the ignition switch is turned on. Simple by-pass of the low beam circuit. When you actually turn on the lights, this module is de-activated.

Bill

78Chev
09-02-2009, 15:35
Can this module be removed? Would it need to be replaced by a non-Canadian module? Thanks

convert2diesel
09-03-2009, 07:27
As far as I know, this DRL module is an add-on. Most vehicles sold on both sides of the border have the pigtail, but only the ones shipped to Canada actually have the module.

Qualify the above with, this is the way they did it during the 90s and early 00s. Only a good wiring schematic is going to tell you for sure.

Bill