PDA

View Full Version : Tires: Need Advice for Best Wear for the $$

Stratosurfer
09-02-2009, 18:55
All,
Tahoe needs tires and I am sorely disappointed at how fast I went through the last set. I currently have on Yokohama P265 R17 in a highway tread, I think I have just over 30,000 on them and they are approaching bald. No irregular wear, rotated often, just the tread is now pretty much gone.
I have Avalanche 17" wheels and my dealer recommended the Yoko's last time as better riding than 8 or 10 ply truck tires.
What I would like is a recommendation on a decent highway pattern tire that will make it 60,000 and not break me. I priced 4 Michelins and mounted, balanced, nitrogen filled with an alignment I'm looking at over $1,100 USD's. Anyone use General or other brand?
I'm thinking truck (6 or 10 ply) this time around. I know the 6.5 is heavy, but it seemed to have really eaten these Yoko's up fast when carrying the wieght on the front end.
All feedback appreciated.

HH
09-02-2009, 20:03
I currently have Michelins, load range E, on my K3500 and have about 40,000 miles on them. I expect to get another 10,000 miles or more out of them.

chickenhunterbob
09-02-2009, 20:26
have just over 81,000 miles (135,000 km) on my current set and will have to replace them before next ice.

Tires in sig, had lots of input from the fellows on the board, I'll buy the same (pro grade probably, which are newer since I bought my last set) again without hesitation.

They are somewhat expensive though...

Stratosurfer
09-02-2009, 20:42
Thanks guys. I'm somewhat concerned y'all live in a slighter cooler climate zone. I'm in mild winters and hot summers. I suppose my monthly 300 mile trips across 103F concrete and asphalt may leave more rubber on the street than in cooler climes. Anybody down in the southern heat keeping any brand over 60,000 miles?

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2009, 21:19
Smooth ride will be a trade-off. LT tires wear longer, but are less "soft" (higher pressure rating, stiffer carcass/sidewall, and usually a firmer tread/belt compound). 60K on a highway tread LT tire is realistic, but isn't going to be "cheap". $1000 a set is about $100 more than I spend (including California's tax everything tax) on a set of LT285/75/16 Bridgestone A/Ts for my 2001, and I get 50-55K out of them, at lower than rated pressure (for softer ride) when empty, and at near rated capacity when hauling (about 60/40 use). A highway tread tire ("rib") would probably last a bit longer. The climate I use them is easily as harsh as yours. Asphalt surface temps can exceed 180°F in the summer (pothole patches squish out like pudding). You're right, in that it probably has an effect on tire wear, but my use is averaged over the seasons, and I never really looked.

In any case, you shouldn't be using "P" rated tires on your Yukon, especially if you tow anything, or carry any significant load (or driving around in 103° temps). Should be LT tires.

ToddMeister
09-03-2009, 04:15
I have Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/16E on my 05 LLY, have about 40K on them and still have 1/2 tread left. I fully expect to get 80K out of this set.

Have Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16C's on my 95 GMC, I've had these tires since 2000 and they still aren't worn out. About 1/3 tread left on those. These have been on a couple trucks so not sure of total mileage, but probably 50-60K on them. These are starting to weather check, but that's pretty good for a tire that's almost 10 years old.

Stratosurfer
09-03-2009, 05:22
Thanks guys, this is exactly the data I was looking for.

Robyn
09-03-2009, 06:57
I use Toyo's exclusively on all my rigs.

We have a chain store here (LES Schwab) and have done business with them since getting into the trucking business back in 1991.

I always run a good all weather tread year around.

Granted they make more noise but I am lazy and dont like to be swapping tires.

I rarely rotate tires either, just run them till their shot and then replace.

Usually get about 35K or so on the "off road" or all weather tread.

If I was running a lot of highway miles in dry weather I would certainly look at a different tread.

98% of our driving is within 20-50 miles and or closer. Normal day to day driving is 10 miles round trip.

Lots of rain in the winter with some snow and sloppy road conditions.

Not that much freeway driving

I have never been a Michelin fan. IMHO they are too soft and mushy.

Toyo
Yoko
Otsu

A few brands that I have used over the years.

I prefer the Toyo brand.

Hope this is of some use.

Robyn

jhornsby3
09-03-2009, 22:46
When I was a service tech in the SoCal to Vegas area I used the cheep Pepboys tires. IIRC it was the futura name on the side wall. Later found them to be a Kely tire. At around 150k miles a year I wanted a good tire. I was able to get 80k out of them on average with a pick up loaded with tools and supplies. At best I was over by a few hundred pounds in the half ton truck. Since moving to the NW I still look for the Kelly's tires when I need to replace. I had a set of Ol' Lester's tires Robyn talked about on a pick up. Wildcats IIRC. Did 80k on the truck and another 30k on a trailer. I likede the ride of the Kelly tires best.

Hope this helps.

John