PDA

View Full Version : Injector fuel leak

kulwap
08-31-2009, 14:57
It appears that I may have a similar problem. I had just tried to post a lengthy reply, but I lost it. I will try to post the details again, but not in so much length.

My leak is on the RH side and the rearmost two cylinders. I have pulled the turbo and heat shield and it appears that the problem may be the flex lines that go from injector to injector as they appear worn. It is possible that it is the steel lines and fittings at the injectors but it would be more work to try and find out. I am thinking that I may replace the flex lines and reinstall the turbo, and run it, but I wanted a second opinion. Is it worth the hassle to investigate the steel fuel lines further since I already have it disassembled this far?

kulwap
08-31-2009, 15:47
More info...

I did replace the injectors about 20K miles ago. Everything went back together well and I have not had this fuel leak until recently. When I pulled the rig into my garage and ran it for the 2-3 minutes it took to do so, enough fuel leaked to cover a 2x3 ft area after I shut it down. It appears to have sprayed up and discolored the AC coolant reservoir, and at times I have been able to smell the fuel "burning off".

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2009, 16:53
It appears that I may have a similar problem. I had just tried to post a lengthy reply, but I lost it. I will try to post the details again, but not in so much length.

My leak is on the RH side and the rearmost two cylinders. I have pulled the turbo and heat shield and it appears that the problem may be the flex lines that go from injector to injector as they appear worn. It is possible that it is the steel lines and fittings at the injectors but it would be more work to try and find out. I am thinking that I may replace the flex lines and reinstall the turbo, and run it, but I wanted a second opinion. Is it worth the hassle to investigate the steel fuel lines further since I already have it disassembled this far?

More info...

I did replace the injectors about 20K miles ago. Everything went back together well and I have not had this fuel leak until recently. When I pulled the rig into my garage and ran it for the 2-3 minutes it took to do so, enough fuel leaked to cover a 2x3 ft area after I shut it down. It appears to have sprayed up and discolored the AC coolant reservoir, and at times I have been able to smell the fuel "burning off".

This on a Duramax? Sounds more like a 6.2/5. If so, it's your injector return lines. A complete kit through our TDP Advertisers will run you about $25. You can mess with it, patch it, buy line, cut/splice, etc...... In the end, you'll need to buy a kit, anyway.

Confirm the engine you are asking about, and I'll move your posts if necessary.

Duramaster
08-31-2009, 18:02
If this a DMAX, the lines do pit and corrode at the rail as well. I have replaced lines for pitting at the rail. It's just not as common as it is at the injectors themselves. Are you the original owner of the truck or did it come from an area where there is alot of salt on the road?

kulwap
09-03-2009, 08:20
Yeah, it is the 6.5. I didn't even notive that it was the duramx forum. So you think that only the flex lines need to be replaced and not the steel lines?

DmaxMaverick
09-03-2009, 09:21
Yeah, it is the 6.5. I didn't even notive that it was the duramx forum. So you think that only the flex lines need to be replaced and not the steel lines?

From your description, it sounds like only the injector return hoses. Leaky fuel injector steel lines will cause poor running and missing symptoms.

[This thread/posts was moved from another thread in the Duramax Forum]

Robyn
09-03-2009, 11:42
Get a Dipaco fuel return line kit.
It comes with all the braid lines the two rubber end caps and the clamps.

The fuel lines have a braided covering. Just cut to suit on the length and psuh onto the nipples. You dont need clamps on the lines, only the end caps.

Make sure the lines dont rub on the inside of the shield.

Either the rubber ends cap has gone south or one of the lines.
Normally you can see whats going on.

If need be plug the turbo oil feed line and run the engine with the manifold and turbo off.

Ir will be a little noisy and such but you can let it idle and see what happens around the injectors.

The usual suspect is the end cap on numbers 7 and 8
These little rubber caps get tired and go away.

Keep us posted

Robyn

tommac95
09-14-2009, 04:16
Kulwap-

My best threads , generally end up 'lost'. The fora have a 'timeout' component which ensures that if you type slowly , collect thoughts slowly , and compose slowly , often the post gets rejected {as in 'too retarded to be on the reservation', buddy}.

Good practice consists in (I) Selecting, and (II) Copying {Edit>>Copy} the Post , just BEFORE you finally get ready to Submit it. Then , if the post does not "go through", you can leisurely log in again ,casually start-thread/reply again , and Paste the copied text and re-submit , which will transpire well within the "normal" time frame.
- T m