PDA

View Full Version : Ford 302 to Diesel: from a newbie

yucatecd
09-03-2009, 11:36
Gents,
I've a 1989 Mercury Colony Park wagon I've substantially modified for long day Interstate travel. It racks up 20 k annually.

In Europe recently I drove Mercedes, Vauxhall and Alfa Romeo rental SUVs.I liked them. While my wagon has satisfactory mpg (21) and on ramp punch, it's nearing 300k and next year or so I'll need to replace the engine and tranny.

The wagon weighs 2 tons empty. Its engine compartment is relatively long, wide and shallow.

Internet research suggests that the Jeep/Mercedes 3.OL might fit but I've no idea for a tranny.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or suggestions where I might look.

Thanks, Donald McCaig

convert2diesel
09-03-2009, 12:52
Don:

I did a run down on my conversion a couple of years ago but most of it seems to have dissappeared. This is whats left:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27921

Equivalent car and weight to your 89 and should give the same results. You should be able to expect about 30+ MPG on the highway. The Mercedes, while a great engine, just doesn't have enough ummph to make this conversion tractable.

Bill

yucatecd
09-04-2009, 12:57
Dear Bill,
Not too much left but very encouraging. If the 6.2 fit in your Roadmaster, I'd guess it'd fit in my Merc. Newbie question. I gather from my internet research that the 6.2 was a fairly easy conversion for the 351. While there's not much info on Ford conversions - except for the F-150 - I wonder if I might be better off with the Ford 6.0?

Just returned from a trip to Kingston & Toronto. Lovely country.

Donald McCaig

convert2diesel
09-04-2009, 18:40
Dear Bill,
Not too much left but very encouraging. If the 6.2 fit in your Roadmaster, I'd guess it'd fit in my Merc. Newbie question. I gather from my internet research that the 6.2 was a fairly easy conversion for the 351. While there's not much info on Ford conversions - except for the F-150 - I wonder if I might be better off with the Ford 6.0?

Just returned from a trip to Kingston & Toronto. Lovely country.

Donald McCaig

Don:

You must be a real bear for punishment :) A 6.0 in a Crown Vic with makeup? Leaving the reliability problems aside, trying to shoehorn that engine into your car would be stretch. Use the 6.2/6.5 with a GM tranny and your not into a match this to that scenario. You'll probably find the overall dimensions are not all that different. Maybe some mount welding plus the enivitable clearance issues, getting a GM yoke for your driveshaft and the rest is just minor. Trying to stuff turbos and intercoolers into the same space ends up being a plumbers nightmare, especially if you don't need the horsepower. If your car is in good general condition, then another 200K is not out of the question.

Too bad you didn't spend another couple of hours and come to our Capital City, Ottawa. Even prettier then Kingston, as nice as that is.

Bill

yucatecd
09-07-2009, 02:31
Dear Bill,
Thanks again. Okay, which years 6.5? Can I get my ac compressor in there as well (It gets warmer down here than where you live.) Got to Ottawa last year and took two teenagers through your parliament. Not as paranoid as our govt. Donald

convert2diesel
09-07-2009, 19:53
Don:

If you are keeping it naturally aspirated, I would suggest the 88-91 "J" code 6.2. Lots of them around and many come with a 700R4 tranny still attached. That is the GM equiv of of the AOD, just stronger.

Spend some real time on this board and research what to look for and what works and what doesn't. The AC system can be done one of two ways:

1. Fab up some mountings for your compressor and keep it all Ferd or

2. Use the Harrison R4 compressor that was used on these engines as a direct fit and have some AC lines fabbed up to work with your system. Logic would dictate that the the various components would be close enough in size that swapping compressors shouldn't adversely effect the operation.

Based upon the AC is my 87 Crown Vic wagon I had a for 10 years, it could only help the situation.

Bill

ameristargroup
09-16-2009, 18:39
Ever considered doing a MWM Sprint swap? Ford of Brazil used both the 4 and 6 cylinder units in their trucks, and there is an importer in Canada for the engines and spares. Come in 2.8 and 4.2 liter sizes. Another, I guess a little more obscure swap would be a BMW 2.4 turbodiesel used in the old BMW 524td and briefly in the Lincoln Mark VII and Continental.
The 6.0 Ford diesel, aside of the size, is an electronic interface nightmare. Further still are the headgasket, egr, turbo issues that will make you hate yourself for doing the swap. I'd do a Duramax before that engine.