PDA

View Full Version : 2004 LLY no start

jimboagogo
09-04-2009, 19:18
I had a 2004 k2500 towed in the other day with a no start condition.The owner has had it at the dealer earlier(when it still ran)and they diagnosed it needed 8 injectors.I think he got some bad fuel,lot's of water in it.It has all good fuel in it,new filter(even removed the tank and flushed it).It had a couple of injector codes in it (I think2&7).I went ahead and replaced the high pressure pump because the pressure is nil.The new pump is no different.There is fuel to the check port when hand primmed.There is nothing comming out of the high press.pump.I checked the wiring to the regulator and it appears to have signal and grnd.Tommorrow I am going to pull the oil fill out to see if it's turning(HP pump).Also going to pull the fuel supply line off right at the pump to make sure it has fuel supply.Any thought's,past experiences,or advice would be greatly appreciated. Jim PS:I checked the regulator wiring with a Snap-On Modis

DmaxMaverick
09-04-2009, 20:45
If you are seeing the code for 2 & 7, it's probably a harness issue, for those cylinders. And, it can shut down or fail to start (bypass high pressure fuel) if both banks have harness faults. Look up the TSB for 2 & 7 injector harness failure (I don't have the bulletin # handy).

Duramaster
09-04-2009, 20:53
The P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294 will not keep the engine from running, they will make it run poorly. Are you able to actually prime the fuel filter using the hand primer? Did you replace the pump with a new one or is it a used pump of questionable quality? Did you torque the pump nut? (52 ft. lbs.) If the nut is tight and the filter primes, maybe you have a loose fuel line. Did you take the lines loose at the FICM? I left one loose one time and it made me start to second guess my diagnosis ;) I have never had a pump fail right out of the box. If you are getting fuel to and through the pump and still no fire, You may have a stuck open fuel rail pressure limiter valve though I think the engine would still run. Hope this helps.

Duramaster
09-04-2009, 20:55
2004 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2105023
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05-06-04-047C: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector w/Harness Support Bracket Kit) - (Apr 23, 2008)

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit)

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2004-2005 GMC Sierra

2004-2005 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 2 - RPO LLY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add DTC P1294 to Subject Line and Condition Statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-047B (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated along with a severe reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294 .

Cause
The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Correction
If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector, install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit, P/N 98017958, using the following repair procedures.

Repair Procedure for Left Bank Cylinder Number 2
•Disconnect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
•Remove the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
•Remove the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

•Disconnect cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

•Remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug connector nut and remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector from the glow plug.

•Remove the fuel injector harness bracket bolt.

•Cut the tape to remove the fuel injector harness bracket and discard the bracket.

•Cut cylinder number 2 fuel injector connector off the engine harness approximately 38.1 mm (1.5 in) away from the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

•Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
•Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
•Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

•Position the new injector harness bracket to align with the bracket bolt hole and secure to the harness with electrical tape.
•Install the new injector harness bracket and original bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel injector harness bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

•Install the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector and nut.
Tighten
Tighten the glow plug harness connector nut to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

•Connect the cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.
•Install the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).
•Install the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Repair Procedure for Right Bank Cylinder Number 7

•Remove the fuel filter assembly bolts.

•Position the fuel filter assembly out of the way.

•Disconnect cylinder number 7 fuel injector harness connector and cut the number 7 fuel injector harness connector wires directly at the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

•Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
•Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
•Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

•Install the new injector harness bracket to the upper valve cover.
•Install the injector harness bracket bolts supplied with the kit.
Tighten
Tighten the injector harness bracket bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

•Connect the cylinder number 7 injector harness connector.

•Install the injector harness to the bracket as shown.
•Install the fuel filter assembly.
•Install the fuel filter assembly bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel filter assembly bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

•Connect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).

jimboagogo
09-05-2009, 05:39
Thanks for the input.I was aware of the wiring issue so I didn't really get too concerned about that yet.The filter primes up just fine all the way to the test port at the front of the engine.The pump is right from Bosch,they called it reman,but it certanly looked new.It came with a new regulator.When cranking there is some return fuel comming out of the return line at the rear of the engine,but not alot.I did torque the not also put a small dot of blue loctite on the tapper.There is hardly any fuel out of the line comming directly out of the hp pump.

jimboagogo
09-05-2009, 18:02
Ok I have fuel right at the inlet of the pump.The pump is indeed turning.I did a little reading and it seems with no power to the regulator it should make highest fuel pressure the pump is capable of.It still makes none with the reg. unplugged.I'm gonna try a seperate fuel supply next to make sure its not a supply issue.

jimboagogo
09-08-2009, 14:02
Ok now,with seperate fuel supply and a clear line at the pump it appears to be making some fuel delivery.No air.What is the best procedure to bleed them?