PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light won't reset?

bobt
09-07-2009, 00:10
Have 2009 D/A extended cab dually with 5,200 miles. Have been camping past two weeks where I was driving about 4 miles round trip daily(slowly) from camp to lake and back. On Wednesday went to town, about 50 miles round trip at speeds of 40 to 55 mph for 20-25 minutes each way. On Friday, the check engine light came on. I checked the fuel cap for proper installation per book. OK. On Saturday, another 4 mi round trip to lake. Today, started for home, 275 miles. About 15 miles down the road I got a bell and advisories to check owners manual now, and clean exhaust filter. Drove for over an hour at 50 to 60 mph with the advisory repeating itself. Stopped for about an hour at Walmart and when resumed trip, the advisory was cleared and did not repeat. However, the check engine light never would clear. Consequently, I had very lousy power for the trip home. Does this mean that I have another problem that I am not getting an advisory on or is there some fault within the diagnostics that won't reset the light. My next step, unless it is simple to fix, is to visit the dealer and let him deal with it. I did disconnect the batteries for about 20 minutes to see if that would reset it, but it made no difference. Any insight will be appreciated.
Bob

Duramaster
09-07-2009, 08:38
I believe you can get a simple diagnostic from Onstar but in the end you will have to visit the dealer. Onstar will probably be able to tell you what DTC is stored at least.

bobt
09-07-2009, 15:54
According to OnStar, the problem indicated is an Air Intake and Turbocharger Malfunction. I hope I didn't cause any further problems or damage it by driving it home yesterday. OnStar said they would give the dealer a code that would further identify the source of the problem. They won't give the code to me. Anyone know why? I'll be off to the dealer to get it fixed.
Bob

bobt
09-08-2009, 12:34
According to the dealer, rodents, in my case probably squrrels or chipmunks at the campground, chewed up the wiring affecting the turbo, so for some cash out of pocket since the warranty doesn't cover rodents chewing up the wiring, the problem will be fixed.
Bob

DmaxMaverick
09-08-2009, 14:44
According to the dealer, rodents, in my case probably squrrels or chipmunks at the campground, chewed up the wiring affecting the turbo, so for some cash out of pocket since the warranty doesn't cover rodents chewing up the wiring, the problem will be fixed.
Bob

This has happened to me twice in the past decade, once on the truck and once on a car. Both times, it was paid for by insurance. One on my vehicle comprehensive (camping with the truck), and the other on my homeowners (car was at home, and the homeowners deductible was lower, same insurance company). Rodents fall under the category of "act of nature". Just a matter of weighing the cost of repair with your insurance deductible. According to my agent, these were "no points" claims (won't go against you or raise your premium), similar to glass replacement/repair.

bobt
09-08-2009, 22:41
Thanks, I'll check into the insurance angle. I might get a few bucks back.
Bob