PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat question

Motorhome
09-08-2009, 08:36
My 6.2 has a normal thermostat that opens at 180 which I can see on my gauge. If i have to climb even a little the temp rises until the fan clutch engages.
Since my gross weight is about 14 500 lbs I really need all my hp's to get the rig moving forwards.

The question: is it wort the effort to install a high-flow thermostat of the kind the performance guys use in their Vettes? My aim is to minimize the mecanical fan which takes some hp when I need them

/Nils

Robyn
09-08-2009, 08:46
My personal feelings are this.

If your 6.2 is handling the load and the temps are staying in the 180 to 200F range, the fan clutch is engaging and things are working the way they should.

LEAVE IT ALONE

Far too many folks have overheating issues with the 6.2/6.5 when working them hard and would give anything to be shed of those issues.

A 180F T stat is a good temp and it sounds like your system is doing what it is supposed to.

I would not spend a dime trying to improve on what is already working.

The 6.2 is no rocket ship but is a dependable little work horse.

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
09-08-2009, 09:19
Fan clutch engagement is determined by the thermostat position (open/closed), so increasing fan clutch engagement will increase ECT (and vice versa).

Like Robyn said, if it works, it's best to leave it alone. It sounds like yours is working within the ideal range. Changing anything will likely result in runaway ECT's. It's better to go up the hill slower, than spend more time on the roadside waiting for it to cool off.

Motorhome
09-08-2009, 11:18
Thanks, I can forget that issue!
Over to turbo questions.
I´ll get back with more questions about that.
/Nils