PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 side mounted turbo in a Hummer

mapaliz
09-08-2009, 10:41
Hello,
I live in south america - Ecuador at 10.000 feets altitude and have an old Military Hummer with no engine. I found this 6.5 with the turbo mounted at the side and i need to know how to relocate it in order to make this engine fit in the engine compartment. It imposible to find the center top mounted turbo here.

Im thinking about modify the manifod. I saw this ATS turbo manifold used in a 6.5 engine. Do you have the part number? Do you have any advice?

THANKS

More Power
09-18-2009, 09:54
The 6.5TD used in the HMMWV uses an engine valley-mounted (center rear of the engine) due to a lack of space. The HMMWV 6.5 turbo engines incorporate mounting bosses at the rear of the engine that provide both a place to mount the turbo as well as the oil feed/drain. To go with this setup, the HMMWV uses special intake manifold, which mounts a little differently than those used on a pickup/Suburban engine - and the heads are a little different because of the intake mounting scheme.

It is possible to center-mount a turbo on a pickup engine, but it will require some fabrication.

Jim

Mikey von
09-18-2009, 11:39
I think mapaliz wants to mount a pickup 6.5l side mount turbo in HMMWV.

I do not have the answer, but I wanted to try and help clarify the question.

More Power
09-18-2009, 23:47
Condense what I said to mean that... a side mounted turbo won't fit into the Hummer....

Robyn
09-19-2009, 07:50
Without the valley mount block it becomes very tough to make this work.
You can though run the 6.5 as an N/A engine and get by just fine.

Just turn the fuel screw down a little so it wont over fuel.

Robyn

JohnC
09-19-2009, 09:01
You can though run the 6.5 as an N/A engine and get by just fine.

At 10,000' altitude he's going to take about a 35% power reduction...

john8662
09-20-2009, 14:17
Check out a part of my photo album and you'll see a Banks H1 Hummer turbo setup. It used the regular 6.2L manifold found in the Banks truck kit, but they fabricated an adapter to bolt to that to move the turbo upwards and back a little. Pretty simple fix really, just take some time to make a manifold.

Forget about fabricating that junk valley mounted turbo anyways.

But, using the factory 6.5TD manifold in the H1 doesn't sound do-able, again check out the Banks H1 setup (no longer available) but some parts are, make the rest...

J

mapaliz
01-20-2010, 09:07
Check out a part of my photo album and you'll see a Banks H1 Hummer turbo setup. It used the regular 6.2L manifold found in the Banks truck kit, but they fabricated an adapter to bolt to that to move the turbo upwards and back a little. Pretty simple fix really, just take some time to make a manifold.

But, using the factory 6.5TD manifold in the H1 doesn't sound do-able, again check out the Banks H1 setup (no longer available) but some parts are, make the rest...

J

Thank you for the info. Finally i found the banks turbo manifold for the early 6.2 and ill use it for the HMMWV. Ill use the GM4 turbo as it is 15 PSI, instead of the 10 PSI of the banks turbo. I tried to find the photos of this set up fot he hummer but i could'nt. please help with the adress.

85-m1028
01-24-2010, 09:31
Even if you could find a center mount there is some clearence issues around the doghouse in the tub at the top that need to adressed. So either way you're looking at some modifications.

85-m1028
01-24-2010, 09:33

J

Why is the centermount turbo junk?? I'm not disputing you I just don't know a whole lot about em.

mapaliz
06-20-2010, 10:11
Hello,
Finally after many work, including the banks set up an a custom modification for the intake, i decided to try the original valley mounted turbo fro m a GVAN in my side-mounted turbo (Pick Up Block) to fit ina 1998 HMMHW. My question is if i have to drill the holes for the oil feeding an return lines for the GM6 turbo. How do i have to drill it or if there is any way to bypass the lines?

JohnC
06-21-2010, 07:33
How do i have to drill it or if there is any way to bypass the lines?

I cannot answer your questions, but a word of caution: Make sure the oil return line is big enough and unobstructed by bends, kinks or high and low spots, or you will have oil consumption issues. The oil (and there is lots of it) must drain freely by gravity alone. If it pools up in the turbo housing it will end up in the intake and exhaust.