PDA

View Full Version : LokTite on Crank Timing Gear ???

tommac95
09-09-2009, 07:35
I'm replacing my timing 'set' (gears&chainset)....

When removing the old/existing crank sprocket/reluctor i noticed that it had been installed with what appeared to be Loktite Stud/Bearing mount. {the sprocket required a puller to remove}.

Anybody else notice this?
Could this be factory?
Might it be an indication that my rig has a 'crate engine' that was a 'late edition' ?
{i also noticed that the crank sprocket had some black paint (overspray) on one side}

It occurred to me that a remanufactured crate engine might be expected to spend some time Without a HB up against the sprocket ...
thanks , T m.
I will post this query elsewhere , as well.

john8662
09-09-2009, 12:56
If you're taking about the harmonic balancer bolt, no, it does not require locktite.

It's torqued to 200 ft. lbs, which should be quite enough to keep things in place.

The camshaft bolt should have lock-tite on it though, since you're doing the work.

J

JohnC
09-09-2009, 14:03
I think his point was that the timing sprocket is lok-tited to the crankshaft.

Robyn
09-09-2009, 18:01
Slide your new sprocket onto the shaft, unless its sloppy loose its fine without any Locktite.

The sprocket should go the last little bit as a very light press fit (tap with plastic hammer)

Some one was likely worried or ???? and used the locktite.

The key should fit snug in the keyway too.

Normally you dont need anything but a new chain on these engines.

I just did a 6.5 for DaHoooley and chain only. The Burb was a 237K miler at rebuild and only needed the chain.

Have fun

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2009, 18:30
If the cam sprocket it installed, the crank sprocket can't go anywhere, anyway. The chain won't let it. If it's "sloppy" on the crank, Loc-Tite won't help, at all. You'll need a "Speedy Sleeve" to take up the slack.

tommac95
09-10-2009, 06:08
Thankyou all for (each and every) reply.
The sprocket was a loose fit , but required tapping to move it (not sloppy).

This was only my second timing-chain job (the other was on a small block gasser).

The wear was apparent at the Base of the sprocket [between the teeth (??)] ; there was at least 3/4" of play in the chain....

-T m

I suppose the "Speedy Sleeves" are intended for crank-noses that have been ground undersize?