PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hour Meter

CoyleJR
09-10-2009, 20:56
I recently had to replace both batteries in my truck. When I installed the new batteries, I found that my hour meter had reset to zero. Is this normal and is there any way to recapture the original total hours? I was nearing 4k hours and would like the hour meter to reflect the actual engine hours.

jsmiracle
09-11-2009, 16:14
Mine started resetting to zero a few months ago. It started after I changed both batteries. I don't think it is normal nor is it catastrophic. I am interested in the upcoming knowledgeable response that is common to this site.:)

DmaxMaverick
09-11-2009, 18:10
What you'll likely get is some head-scratching (got me). It shouldn't reset. Perhaps the IPC is failing?? That's happened a few times before....

RdTxTd
09-12-2009, 17:14
Mine got reset when I took it to the dealer one time to get the retractable mirrors fixed. I didn't notice it for a week or two. When I went back to ask them about it, they said they couldn't have done it, that they cannot be reset... whatever.

Now I record miles AND hours whenever I do service so I have a record.

Dave

jsmiracle
09-12-2009, 20:21
Mine is resetting often.... it has reset 4 or more times in the past 6 months. Like the above post, I record mileage and engine hours, although engine hours is becoming an estimate, at best.

JohnC
09-13-2009, 05:43
Mine reset when I took it to the dealer's also. I know they were changing EGR software at the time...

EdHale
09-14-2009, 12:27
I had both batteries unhooked on mine last week for about 2 hours and the hour meter is still recording just like it always has. It did not reset.

Go figure.

hapaschold
09-14-2009, 15:12
both my batteries were replaced on my 06 dmax, no loss of engine hrs.
i would think it s stored in the cluster like the mileage is ? ?