PDA

View Full Version : 95 tranny troubles

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-12-2009, 13:40
ok, so I finally got around to putting the 95 together. a warrantied t-case was installed, and everything seemed good. four new bosch glow plugs, and she fired right up. starting problem solved.

but, now the speedo doesnt work, and all i have is first gear. when i park it soemtimes, it won't read that it is in park, and the truck will roll a bit. i took it up to the road, and when you first get on the pedal, it pulls hard in first. if you let off and then give it some more fuel, it almost seems to slip. from a stop, in gear, i tried to powerbrake, and it suddenly grabbed and pushed through the brakes.

searched through all the tranny threads i could find, not sure yet. i am thinking maybe replace the output speed sensor? and other suggestions?

JohnC
09-12-2009, 14:43
First read the codes.

My bet is you should replace the ignition switch.

If you want proof, put a volt meter on the trans fuse. If the voltage drops below about 10 volts at any time, that's your problem. Powers the shift solenoids, speedometer, gear indicator light and tach, IIRC.

The shift to park is mechanical, so maybe the linkage is miss adjusted, too. If it rolls, it's not in park...

BTW, my money says it's second gear, not first.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-12-2009, 16:26
hey john, thanks for the replies. i should have bet you, lol. :p when down and pricced out a new VSS, $230. :eek: came back and tried the test i had read about on here. put the meter on the pins, and have someone turn the wheels. vss was working. so i decided to pull back the loom and inspect the wiring. and lo and behold, broken wire. quick wired in place, and a test run. speedo works, and the truck shifts. the rolling in park is a little annoying, but i just have to make sure that i push the stick over far enough. nothing to major though. i will probably have to adjust the linkage i am guessing. thanks for the response though. need the truck for work on monday, so this makes me happy.