PDA

View Full Version : Computer to non-computer

JeepSJ
01-26-2004, 17:14
I have a source for a 1997 complete engine with less than 20K miles on it. That would be a good candidate for my swap, except for the EFI - I really don't want an electronically controlled engine. So, what would be involved in swapping out the components to get away from the electronics? Are the injector pumps a straight swap? Basically, the entire intake system would get swapped for earlier components - exhaust manifolds and piping, intake, etc... Also, I think I have sourced a good MHI TE06H turbo, so that would get tossed into the mix. I figure that I could probably sell the stock turbo, manifolds, etc...

Am I totally whacked for not wanting the computer controls?

Bobbie Martin
01-26-2004, 19:13
My opinion is you would have to be totally whacked for wanting to keep the computer controls!
To remove the computer all you need is a 4911 (or equal) DB2 injection pump and the injector lines for a DB2, a Turbo Master for the wastegate (if you keep the stock turbo) and a glow plug controller. The DB2 is a direct swap for the DS4 except for the injector lines. There are a couple of other miscellaneous things like a HPCA switch, etc. but nothing major. If it has dual thermostats, there is a bit of modification to clear the throttle cable. You can remove the vacuum pump as well if the Jeep doesn't need vacuum for anything.

JeepSJ
01-27-2004, 01:06
Thanks! Can the lines be modified for the DB2 pump, or will I need to find a new set of lines?

The rest of the items are things that I need to deal with anyway. The pump and injectors are really the only things I am worried about. And that brings up another question - how well will the stock injectors work with the DB2 pump?

Barry Nave
01-27-2004, 02:14
Lines size are different between the two.
Only need lines for a DB2 pump, eazy to get.
Injectors will be fine ;)

britannic
01-27-2004, 21:58
You will also need to get the DB2 driven gear, as the DS4 uses a different shaft/boss attachment. Others may be able to confirm if the inj. drive gear on the camshaft is compatible with the driven gear.

Bobbie Martin
01-28-2004, 04:36
My DB2 bolted up to the DS4 gear with no problem.

C.K. Piquup
01-28-2004, 06:10
Leaving out the electronics is the easiest and best way to go.you`re on the right track.Injectors are all the same(6.2/6.5-na/turbo).If you`re going into performance,contact Peninsular Marine for inj.pump.They can supply lines&hi-pop injectors,too.All the turbo exhaust is the same underhood,so if that is available w/engine get it.

C.K. Piquup
01-28-2004, 06:16
Looked at your original post.Intake is also the same EFI/MFI.

britannic
01-28-2004, 08:18
Originally posted by Bobbie Martin:
My DB2 bolted up to the DS4 gear with no problem. That's good to know, I must have been thinking about the cam shaft drive gear then!

JeepSJ
01-28-2004, 12:55
Originally posted by C.K. Piquup:
Looked at your original post.Intake is also the same EFI/MFI. Thanks to everyone who replied. In regards to the intake, I have a single-plane non-egr unit on the way.

Now I just have to get the guy to actually deliver on the engine.