PDA

View Full Version : Coolant pump backing plate

tommac95
09-13-2009, 09:23
My pump mounting plate (between the pump and timing cover) has some corrosion -- at one place where roadsalt 'sat' on the timing cover 'shelf' , the backing plate is eroded beneath the water pump , so that the Pump-Flange is effectively an eighth of an inch thick , rather than a quarter/three-eighths , as designed. Since there was a little seepage/weeping here , i'm re-installing the timing cover/HO water pump with care.

If i want a different pump mounting plate , is there an aftermarket availability , or is that just a Dealership/Junkyard prospect?
Thanks ,
T m.

More Power
09-13-2009, 12:14
I have several little used "take-off" wp backing plates. You can have one for the cost of shipping. A USPS Priority box costs about $13, if I remember correctly.

Jim

tommac95
09-14-2009, 04:03
Hello Jim,
Thankyou for the offer!

As it turns out , i invested a few hours and a lot of 'elbow grease' in manipulating a sanding block over the surface yesterday; it is much improved. Today i'll sand a bit more , and then 'test' with a 'feeler gauge' against the waterpump casting .... and if it won't work , i'll get back here with my 'paypal' 'wallet' for the postage!

Thanks ,
- T m