PDA

View Full Version : No 3rd/4th

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-13-2009, 20:54
So, now that the truck is going, the tranny wont shift into 3rd or 4th.which is weird as it did yesterday when i took it for a test drive. runs and drives fine in the first two gears, but i would like to be able to do over 50 mph. any suggestions?

Robyn
09-14-2009, 06:37
Likely a 3-4 shift solenoid thats stuck or ???

Get a scan tool on the beast and make sure that the ECM is commanding the 3-4 shift.

Solenoid probably stuck.

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-14-2009, 07:15
will do that. just take it into any tranny shop and they can scan?

Robyn
09-14-2009, 08:04
Call whoever you are thinking about and ask them if they can scan.
Any tranny shop that does current stuff with computers should be able to do that easily.

RC

ameristargroup
09-15-2009, 10:31
Here's something to try. Go grab a bottle of Auto Rx, run it through the trans, T Tec flush it, replace the fluid and filter. This stuff will clean out the transmission and valvebody components, and unstick the solenoids without being harsh.
Follow the directions on the site exactly; it could save you a trans rebuild.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-16-2009, 07:07
the tranny just went back in a little while ago. it had a newer filter and new oil. i don't think that is the problem, or? still haven't had a chance to take it in. work is going crazy right now, and as i am down to this one truck, it will have to wait until the day i leave on vacation. :D

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-30-2009, 17:33
truck fixed. got back from vacation and ran it in to a trusted old transmission mechanic. he ran his scanner, and couldn't find anything. crawled under and muddled with the tranny for a minute, and then came out and suggested a ride. suddenly had 3rd and 4th back. asked him to explain and he said that the tranny was probably from a 96, and had a speed sensor on the tranny itself, where the '95 model tranny didn't the VSS on the tranny, but the t-case. the wiring was for 95, and the plug i found for the one harness was the VSS.

ended up owing him a bottle of red wine. love it when that happens.

Robyn
10-02-2009, 07:26
Glad to hear that all is well again

Missy