PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter wiring harness

rogers
09-14-2009, 23:18
This may have been discussed here before but I couldn't find it.
I am looking at some racor fuel filters, they have wires for heaters and wires for water in fuel. The racor WIF harness has a black, red, and yellow wire. The stock 6.5 wiring harness has the same wires. The racor heater is two wire, red and black, the same as stock 6.5 harness. So... can I just wire them in and expect that they would work like the stock fuel filter?

On a somewhat related subject, I am considering the Kennedy lift pump. Has anyone used this pump? What pressure does it run? How would an elevated pressure affect the IP? Would differing pressures affect the timing?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for any help!

Robyn
09-15-2009, 06:40
The Stock truck wiring should be as follows

The fuel heater

Black is ground
Pink and black is + (hot)

Water in fuel sensor

Black is ground
Pink and black is + (Hot)
Yellow and black is to the indicator light

This I traced from a 92 GM wiring diagram book

The Racor should come with a schematic that tells what wire is what.

This should be an easy setup
The water in fuel sensor uses a small current conductivity to activiate the sensors main contact that sends full 12v to the light which is wired directly to ground.

When the sensors sees water the solid state switching device allows the current to flow to the lamp.

The heater is easy, just make sure the ground and hot leads are the same.

Good luck

Robyn

suburbanK-2500HD
09-15-2009, 08:28
Take a look at this, might help

suburbanK-2500HD
09-16-2009, 07:47
i try again

shema is from a 1996 gmc 6.5 td

rogers
09-16-2009, 07:58
Thanks! Looks like it should wire up nicely.

tommac95
09-17-2009, 06:16
REgarding the LP wiring--

If your LP is energized directly by the OPS {wiring differs by model year} , the OPS contact points can wear out.
Situation can be improved by addition of a relay between the OPS and LP , particularly if the relay has diode protecting against reverse emf when coil field collapses.

J Kennedy sells a setup that employs a solidstate switch to control the LP , which should maximixe LP lifetime.