PDA

View Full Version : Broken Antenna

klee7013
09-17-2009, 16:44
just joined the forum looks like alot of good information-

quick questions 2500 hd antenna broke off in mount is there a website that sells oem parts to fix it or has this happened to anybody else and what did they do to fix the problem

thanks
kevin

DmaxMaverick
09-17-2009, 18:46
Welcome aboard!

If the stud broke off flush, it can be repaired (see below). Otherwise, you'll have to replace the bracket. Fortunately, the bracket is the cheap part. The mast is costly. I did a bracket replacement for a family member's car (2005 Malibu), so parts shopping was somewhat shocking. While looking, I looked up the parts for my truck. The mast is the same as the trucks, but the bracket is different, but priced similar.

The bracket and mast can be had at www.gmpartsdirect.com. Use the contact form and include your VIN to ensure you get the right parts. Their price is less than 1/2 of the dealership parts dept. They are not available aftermarket.

Bracket repair:
If the stud broke off flush, it is easy to repair. Drill and tap (1/4" x 20, IIRC, but verify it). Don't drill/tap more than about 1/2", or you'll be past the steel. Install a 1" long stainless steel (very important it's SS) stud into the bracket with red Loc-Tite. When finished, you can't tell it was ever broken, and radio reception will be as it was before.

If you don't have the tools handy, or aren't sure you can pull it off, it really isn't worth the effort to repair. The brackets aren't expensive.

klee7013
09-19-2009, 08:28
thanks for the info looking into it at this time