PDA

View Full Version : New Remote Starter

TJ
02-05-2006, 12:04
For those of you who don't know yet, I'm a remote start junkie. Well, I took out the Ultrastart system (I highly recommended this system on a previous post) and replaced it with the most advanced Compustar system available. In order to save hours of reading (and writing), I'll summarize by saying....WOW!! A super nice system with loads of functionality. It definitely beats the Ultrastart system hands down. The only other system I'd like to try is Scytek's Vision Guard. Other than that, don't waste your time looking at anything else.

TJ

TurboDiverArt
02-06-2006, 03:31
Originally posted by TJ:
For those of you who don't know yet, I'm a remote start junkie. Well, I took out the Ultrastart system (I highly recommended this system on a previous post) and replaced it with the most advanced Compustar system available. In order to save hours of reading (and writing), I'll summarize by saying....WOW!! A super nice system with loads of functionality. It definitely beats the Ultrastart system hands down. The only other system I'd like to try is Scytek's Vision Guard. Other than that, don't waste your time looking at anything else.

TJ Why remote start? I was going to install one but my truck can idle forever and never warm up much past the plug in temp. Gauge never moves even if I idle for 20 minutes. Now I just start it when I'm loading up the truck before leaving and then just go. More to circulate the oil than anything else, maybe 5 minutes.

Art.

TJ
02-06-2006, 06:19
Art,
Remote start just to scare people when they walk by and stare at the haunted truck! :D My truck warms up very quickly. I would replace some thermostats from the sound of it. My system also serves as a very advanced sercurity system with starter disable and has extreme range on a 2 way remote. Pretty cool!

TJ

TurboDiverArt
02-06-2006, 18:25
Originally posted by TJ:
Art,
Remote start just to scare people when they walk by and stare at the haunted truck! :D My truck warms up very quickly. I would replace some thermostats from the sound of it. My system also serves as a very advanced sercurity system with starter disable and has extreme range on a 2 way remote. Pretty cool!

TJ I agree with the scare thing. Nice cold night in a parking lot and the truck rattles to life with some unsuspecting person next to it! Cool.

Thermo's are new Robershaw 195's from Kennedy. Seems until I actually drive and load the engine the temps don't go up.

Art.

Tough Guy
02-06-2006, 19:03
How many banker's dollars would I need for one of those remote starting gizmos?

Chris

TJ
02-07-2006, 08:28
TG,
It depends on where you purchase it. The source I use now is in Minnesota. This place is awesome and has excellent technical support. $260 delivered to the door. If you need a security bypass module (to bypass factory security when remote starting), it's an extra $40.

TJ

markrinker
02-07-2006, 11:08
Art - I bet you have a heavy duty fan clutch that is drawing lots of cold air over the radiator and engine at idle.

A remote start on either of my 6.5s would be useless.

I can't imagine most aging 6.5s that pop off quick enough in cold weather to make the remote worth the $$$ - at least in cold climates where you would have it plugged in anyways.