PDA

View Full Version : Does my J-Code 6.2 have a sender for a temp gauge?

hollis1009
09-20-2009, 06:26
I've gotten a m1009 with a 12v conversion and a half-finished civilian dash swap.

The dashboard, I think, is from a K30 Custom Deluxe and unlike the m1009 dash it has a temp gauge.

Does the J-Code 6.2 have a sender that can drive this gauge, or am I stuck going aftermarket?

If aftermarket, I may get a pod with a couple more gauges even though I'll probably never go turbo.

-carl

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2009, 08:00
Welcome aboard!

It depends on the options at delivery. It could have had an idiot light, or a gage. It's hard to say, most had a gage, but not all. You may or may not have to massage the wire harness to support it, if it didn't. The senders are available from GM, or the parts store (not a GM part, but not necessarily "aftermarket"). Any gage sender for that engine of that era will work (the year model of the instrument panel).

hollis1009
09-20-2009, 08:22
Well, the m1009 and other CUCVs came with an idiot light, so it sounds like the sender to drive a gauge simply wouldn't be on the engine.

I don't have much hope in identifying the year of the dash and its gauge, so maybe I'll need a new sender and gauge both.

If I wanted to try senders from a couple of different eras, where would it go in the engine? Does it replace the switch for the idiot light?

thanks,
-carl

Welcome aboard!

It depends on the options at delivery. It could have had an idiot light, or a gage. It's hard to say, most had a gage, but not all. You may or may not have to massage the wire harness to support it, if it didn't. The senders are available from GM, or the parts store (not a GM part, but not necessarily "aftermarket"). Any gage sender for that engine of that era will work (the year model of the instrument panel).

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2009, 08:28
If the dash fits correctly in the truck, the truck body year (you didn't state) would be a good year to start with. It will probably work. And, yes, replace the idiot light switch with the sender (same location). The problem isn't going to be the sender or the gage (most all were compatible). The problem will be the wire harness, if it doesn't have the correct power/sender wires. No biggie, as you can just rewire it. An electrical diagram would be very helpful to you.

CA_CUCV
09-20-2009, 15:31
If you go to steelsoldiers.com you can download a military service manual for free that covers your truck. In figure 24, number 2 is the temperature sensor for the glow plug system, my glow plugs are on a manual switch so I put my sending unit here. Number 1 in figure 54 is the "temperature transmitter", I think this is the dummy light source. Number 2 is the cold advance switch.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv320/BCJackson_album/chevy/glowplugs.jpg
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv320/BCJackson_album/chevy/sendingunits.jpg