PDA

View Full Version : Manual glow plug switch...how to?

AJMBLAZER
09-21-2009, 13:29
So can someone walk me through installing a manual glow plug switch on my 89 K5?

Getting tired of the (slightly improved) situation with the (brand new AC Delco) gp controller working when it wants to.

HH
09-21-2009, 17:44
You need two parts for a simple system, a Ford style starter solenoid and a momentary switch, only use a momentary switch. Hook the wires that run to the glow plugs to the switched side of the solenoid and the hot lead to the other side. The switch goes to the small terminal on the solenoid, make sure to install a fuse.

If you want a timer, you can buy a kit from Peninsular Engine (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/index.html). If you are a Diesel Page member you can read this article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/timedelayglowrelay.htm) about the variable timer install. Hope this helps.

AJMBLAZER
09-21-2009, 18:57
Peninsular eh? My buddy's dad's body shop is next door to them. Didn't know they had a bigger name now.

How big of a fuse should I have and any idea on the wire gauge? I'll have to figure out which Ford starter relay I used on Big Ugly a few years ago. Wasn't terribly expensive either.

Have a diagram for this? I have a hard time converting written directions to actual physical devices.

Robyn
09-21-2009, 19:15
The one thats about a third the size of a POP can works sweet.

Very easy install indeed.
Make sure to put a fuseable link in the feed line from the battery to the relay.
Or if your glow plug main leads already have fuseable links your set.

Manual glow the 60G plugs about 10 seconds or a little more and it will be sweet.

Do a post glow hit on the button once the engine starts for about 1 second on and 2 off for a little bit during cold weather to clean up and smooth up the running.

Maybe a total of three 1 second hits with 2 off between them should get the thing running very smooth and enough heat in the engine by then that the thing will run fine.

Be sure your cold advance is working right too.

Missy