PDA

View Full Version : New to the Diesel world

trucknut6657
09-21-2009, 19:23
Hi all I have an 84 crew cab dually that I’m considering converting to a diesel. I may have the opportunity to purchase an 83 c2500 with a 6.2 in it for $400.00 this engine has had a bad head gasket and when replaced the guy didn’t use new torque to yield head bolts and pulled the threads out of one bolt hole in the block. The head is currently off the engine, he purchased another whole 6.2 engine that spun a bearing to use the heads from. My question is will the 6.2 have enough power for my dually and my 2500 # (empty weight)car trailer? I have herd these motors are kind of gutless without major upgrades ?:eek: This is just what I’ve herd, this is the reason I’m here to find out good info on these engines.
I also plan to eventually put an NV4500 5 speed trans in this truck if that helps the power issue at all.

Any info, help, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.:)

Jim

Robyn
09-22-2009, 06:17
Hello and welcome to TDP

The power thing is not really an issue. The 6.2 is not a rocket by any measure but in good condition will get the job done.

Many of these same model trucks came from the factory with a 6.2

Now the first worry I have is that stripped head bolt thread.

This can be effectively repaired with a Heli coil thread insert.
The kits are available through most parts stores and easy to install.

Be sure to carefully check over the deck surface on the block to be sure there is not any errosion around the area that the fire ring of the gasket seats.

If there is an area that is worn or "Etched" into the block then the deck should be machined to correct the problem and the .010 thicker head gasket used.

For best results, use a .010 thicker 6.5 TD head gasket.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Robyn

trucknut6657
09-24-2009, 07:16
Thank you for the advise Robyn!
Any other power issues or comments ?

Robyn
09-24-2009, 07:59
If Power is a must have, scare up a Banks Turbo Kit and install.

Along with a good exhaust system, the 6.2 will perform very well indeed.

In fact the 6.2 when set up with a turbo (Banks or ???) will run right with the 6.5 TD

Robyn

trucknut6657
09-28-2009, 06:59
Ok I am going to purchase this 1983 chevy truck that has a 6.2 not sure of the code on this engine. This truck also comes with a 6.2 j code (the one with the serp belt setup) question is the j code has blown a rod (not sure of the extent of damage to block crank or other internals) what is difference on the j code compaired to the older ("n" or "l" code ?) angines ? Is it just the top end and serp setup or is there a difference in the bottom end also ? I was wanting to make the best motor possible out of the two bad ones.

Thanks Jim
Previouse Post:
New to the Diesel world
Hi all I have an 84 crew cab d[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']ually that I’m considering converting to a diesel. I may have the opportunity to purchase an 83 c2500 with a 6.2 in it for $400.00 this engine has had a bad head gasket and when replaced the guy didn’t use new torque to yield head bolts and pulled the threads out of one bolt hole in the block. The head is currently off the engine, he purchased another whole 6.2 engine that spun a bearing to use the heads from. My question is will the 6.2 have enough power for my dually and my 2500 # (empty weight)car trailer? I have herd these motors are kind of gutless without major upgrades ?:eek: This is just what I’ve herd, this is the reason I’m here to find out good info on these engines.)