PDA

View Full Version : bad fuel

w6bauer
09-23-2009, 08:53
Started having surging issues with the Burb and difficult hot starts. No codes present, I knew from all the posts here it was probably the damn pmd. IP was replaced at about 160K miles at dealership from previous owner, so pmd was not relocated. I ordered pmd remote mount kit from pensacola diesel after hunting for best price. Installed kit and fired her up. The truck ran better than when I bought it, smoother idle, better throttle response. Fueled up at a loves truck stop and not 5 miles later engine light came on, timing seemed off truck ran rough. Read codes and got the P0251 as well as 3 others and was unable to clear them. After hunting around on here it pointed to bad fuel, bad lift pump or a bad optical sensor. Pulled filter and found it was full of black liquid, almost like used motor oil. Luckily I only put $10 in. I got rig running again and filled the tank at a flying J, added jug of diesel kleen and replaced filter. It was still hard to get started the next 3 or 4 times then the engine light went off and I was able to clear the codes.

Thanks everyone for all the great information on these trucks, this is my 1st diesel and I wouldn't be as comfortable working on it without this forum.

ToddMeister
09-24-2009, 05:03
Sounds like algae in the fuel you picked up at the first truck stop....