PDA

View Full Version : Service eng Light p0101

Slufoot101
09-27-2009, 14:11
The light come on after the start of a 3000 mile trip.at mile 350
the code says P0101 ECM detects that the Actual MAF sensor Voltage singnal is not within a predetermind range of calculated MAF value for more than 2 seconds
Ok this is the layout of my truck it is a 01 GMC SWB EXT cab duramax
i have the banks 6 gun, pda, exaust, intake,big head wastgate, super scoop thing and the intercooler ....
this stuff has only been on here for 4000 miles the super scoop and intercooler just got maby 100 miles ,and 400 highway on it any idea :confused:

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2009, 14:44
If you are using an oil-type air filter, check the MAF for oil contamination. Otherwise, you have an issue with the aftermarket airflow (assuming the MAF is good, and it should be). Banks (and some other aftermarket intake mfg's) has some info on this, and some remedies.

To clean the MAF, use an electronics type cleaner safe for plastics (most are). Or, rubbing alcohol (not as good, but it works). DO NOT touch the MAF filaments with ANYTHING but the fluid. Just a good flush.

Slufoot101
09-27-2009, 15:36
i will try to clean it , but the voltage beeing out of range would it be caused by dirt or oil ????

The truck has a bank air intake looks to be a k&n type filter
has any one else had this problem

Slufoot101
09-27-2009, 15:38
I will ck it out tomaroe i am bumed out from driving i hope thats all it is...
it probly wouldnt hurt to clean it too:D

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2009, 18:02
i will try to clean it , but the voltage beeing out of range would it be caused by dirt or oil ????

Yes

The truck has a bank air intake looks to be a k&n type filter
has any one else had this problem
Yes

Slufoot101
09-30-2009, 16:35
well this morning i made it to quebec Canada.. I cleaned the MAF sensor in detroit runs great no more ck eng light. Thanks DmaxMaverick for the help...
Maby give my other post a look at 2
Trying out this Banks stuff.. Its ok so for , feels like the banks kicks in at 2300 rpm dead on take off .
I started in owensboro KY. to detroit Mi now in Quebec will be here a week or 2 thin i leave going to KY. 2500 miles/3000 mile trip only problem i have seen is the MAF light
Getting 420/410 miles to a tank of fuel running the banks on level 5
Highway speeds 70/80 mph

Heartbeat Hauler
11-25-2009, 21:00
I've been fighting this problem for 3 years. I have the Banks Otto Mind, Big Head waste gate, and 4" exhaust. I am running the stock airbox with an AC Delco air filter...albeit there are a few holes in the box...:D

Anyways, I started getting the p0101 codes, went to the dealership and the tech said it was the baro (barometric pressure) sensor. They replaced it under warranty. A few months went by and I got the code again, they replaced the sensor once more. A few months went by and not only did I get the p0101, but also p0106 code. The tech told me the MAF sensor was bad, a forum buddy had a spare, not new but in better shape than mine. That worked for awhile. The codes returned and I installed a brand-spankin' new MAF sensor...no luck. I was beginning to think it was a humidity problem as I was getting the codes during the summer only. However, this past fall the codes are back and this last trip to the dealership (new tech-DMAX guru from Cali) says that I am getting an overboost condition and blamed it on the Banks Big Head waste gate. So here I am stuck. I am thinking of adjusting the BH wastegate back half-a-turn to see if this helps. I hope that someone else has some input.

Jeff

EdHale
11-26-2009, 06:32
I'm leaving mine bone stock. I don't need the headaches and it has all of the power I need.

Ed

Heartbeat Hauler
11-27-2009, 20:23
Not the feedback I was looking for, but point well taken!

Stlheadake
12-08-2009, 14:29
ARe you using an EGR blocker plate and finger sticks or something of the like? I'd bet that your EGR is causing your problems. The MAF, boost, EGR, are all kind of in the same circuit so to speak. The only sensor on the EGR just reads on and off to determine if it is working. The ECU reads MAF on DECELERATION to check EGR function. I don't know what kind of emissions check you have to go through, but I recommend a blocker plate and the sticks to 'trick' the ECU into reading the correct EGR function.

I'd almost bet your trouble disappear!

Heartbeat Hauler
12-12-2009, 21:01
ARe you using an EGR blocker plate and finger sticks or something of the like? I'd bet that your EGR is causing your problems. The MAF, boost, EGR, are all kind of in the same circuit so to speak. The only sensor on the EGR just reads on and off to determine if it is working. The ECU reads MAF on DECELERATION to check EGR function. I don't know what kind of emissions check you have to go through, but I recommend a blocker plate and the sticks to 'trick' the ECU into reading the correct EGR function.

I'd almost bet your trouble disappear!

That is some good info. I will keep it in mind. For the record I am using only the Banks Big Head wastegate, OTTO Mind, and exhaust...nothing else.

Just two days ago Banks Engineering called me...sales call...I told the guy I already bought the kit about 6 years ago, he replied, "Oh, how's it running?" I explained my problem and he xfered me to the tech line. They said that those codes indicate a low or missing voltage. I checked the cable connections for the Banks stuff and it appears one of the "keepers" that maintains postive connector lock was not engaged...now it is. Should the SES light come back I will try the EGR blocker plate...moving to WVa no smog check.

I guess there is a set of instructions somewhere how it (egr blocker plate mod) is done?

Stlheadake
12-13-2009, 07:54
I didin't know what the code was. But I will get the SES light on mine under deceleration. That is caused by the ECM not getting the back pressure it is expecting.

There are a couple of places to get the 'blocker' plate. It just slides in between the EGR and open exhaust and blocks flow. You will need something to fool the ECM so that it thinks it is still getting EGR reading. There are a few options there too. One that I am familiar with is called 'finger sticks' it plugs in line with the EGR and sends a signal to the ECM.

THEFERMANATOR
12-13-2009, 21:11
I got this code as well with the AFE filter. EFILIVE took care of it. I noticed that some OS's have a really tight tolerance for the P0101 to trip, whereas others have a broad range before it will trip.

DmaxMaverick
12-14-2009, 00:06
I get the P0101 on occasion, and I have an AFE intake. The code is somewhat predictable, and I easily remedy it as needed. The best I can figure is, the filter I use (and any AFEl) is a cone type, installed horizontal (Amsoil dry cleanable in my case). As the filter collects dust and gets nearer a need for cleaning, it is the top of the filter getting less airflow (although the overall airflow may still be good). This will change the airflow characteristic of the intake, and effect the actual airflow seen by the MAF. The situation is cured, until the next time, once I clean the filter. Wet type filters may see less of this effect, as there is less of a chance for dust to "fall off" at the bottom of the filter, but it may still be a factor.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-14-2009, 22:49
I get the P0101 on occasion, and I have an AFE intake. The code is somewhat predictable, and I easily remedy it as needed. The best I can figure is, the filter I use (and any AFEl) is a cone type, installed horizontal (Amsoil dry cleanable in my case). As the filter collects dust and gets nearer a need for cleaning, it is the top of the filter getting less airflow (although the overall airflow may still be good). This will change the airflow characteristic of the intake, and effect the actual airflow seen by the MAF. The situation is cured, until the next time, once I clean the filter. Wet type filters may see less of this effect, as there is less of a chance for dust to "fall off" at the bottom of the filter, but it may still be a factor.

Hmm, that's interesting. I am using the stock air box and AC Delco filter. I do have some holes punched in the box known as the "swiss cheese" effect.

I haven't gotten the ses light in the last week, which is a good sign.