PDA

View Full Version : Now what?? Starter?

trentc
09-27-2009, 15:35
Just like clock-work as soon as I fix one issue another pops up. The air leak is almost fixed, just it's a lot slower now.

So I got a new and second batter for it and I notice an big difference in starting. While it was starting a lot better, it seemed the starter was too eager to start the engine. Like it was getting too much power.

So I guess my intuition was right. Some air got back into the fuel line so I was cranking a few times. third time I heard a clank and I stopped. fourth time I even louder clank so I stopped again.

Fifth time I only hear the starter spinning. Crap.

Before I go out and spend $200 on a starter, anyone got an idea if it is the starter? ? My thinking it has to be one of the following: Armature not moving forward to engage fly wheel, the teeth been stripped down, gear has become loose, or the flywheel is missing teeth.

Just hoping somewhere here who deals with this issue often knows the common failure of my problem.

If it's the fly wheel missing teeth, I may as well call the junk yard. I am sure it will cost $1000 or more to replace the flywheel.

Thanks again!

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2009, 17:06
Rotate the engine by hand about 1/3 turn and try a start. If it cranks, the ring gear probably has missing teeth.

Drop the torque converter cover and turn the engine by hand. If it's missing teeth, it'll be easy to see. Don't worry, though. A brand new flex plate isn't much. Unfortunately, the tranny has to come off to replace it.

The armature doesn't have anything to do with starter drive engagement. The solenoid does it all. If the starter motor engages, the solenoid is working. It completes the circuit to the starter field and winding, after it throws in the gear.

Also verify the starter bolts and forward bracket are tight. If not, the starter housing may be cracked, preventing gear engagement.

Robyn
09-27-2009, 17:25
If its a 1/2 ton Burb with a 700R auto I have some spare flex plates.

$25 plus shipping for a nice one with good teeth :D

Missy

trentc
09-28-2009, 19:10
Rotate the engine by hand about 1/3 turn and try a start. If it cranks, the ring gear probably has missing teeth.

Drop the torque converter cover and turn the engine by hand. If it's missing teeth, it'll be easy to see. Don't worry, though. A brand new flex plate isn't much. Unfortunately, the tranny has to come off to replace it.

The armature doesn't have anything to do with starter drive engagement. The solenoid does it all. If the starter motor engages, the solenoid is working. It completes the circuit to the starter field and winding, after it throws in the gear.

Also verify the starter bolts and forward bracket are tight. If not, the starter housing may be cracked, preventing gear engagement.

I took a peek this morning. There was a shortened bolt with the threads missing laying on the ground. Looks like I will be investing in a bolt removal kit.

Thanks for the assist.

trentc
09-28-2009, 19:10
If its a 1/2 ton Burb with a 700R auto I have some spare flex plates.

$25 plus shipping for a nice one with good teeth :D

Missy

If I need it I will let you know.
Thanks for the offer.

Robyn
09-29-2009, 07:10
Let me know :)

RC

crashz
09-29-2009, 10:36
Broken starter bolts are common with the direct drive starters. The starters are so heavy and provide so much torque that the two tiny bolts that hold them often snap and sometimes damage the block when not bolstered by the stock bracket at the front of the engine.

Both of my 83's had replacement starters when I bought them, so they did not have the correct starter bracket. Havent checked the 87 yet, but I see it has a reman unit from NAPA, so I assume I need to purchase the little bracket.

rogers
09-29-2009, 12:38
Where do you get said bracket? Do you have a part number? How much?