PDA

View Full Version : G'day... Lady Chev owner from Australia

StWilde
09-27-2009, 22:58
G'day,

I have a 72 Cheyenne K20 which I took the 327 out of many years ago and replaced with a 6.5L turbo. Well now it seems old and seeing as how I managed to snap my tail shaft and take a huge chunk out of my gear box amongst other things, I thought it was time for another transplant.

Looking at a 6.6L Duramax but have absolutely no idea where to start.

Do I sell the old motor??? Can I sell the old motor??
Do I buy a crate motor?
What else do I need to get?
What is the best transmission set up?

The list goes on.

Anywhos I have been checking out some forums on here and look forward to getting to know you guys better.

Please feel free to make any and all suggestions.

Lara

Robyn
09-28-2009, 08:45
HEY there. WELCOME TO TDP from OREGON USA

Good to have another gal here at the page.

The 6.6 is a handful to swap in as the beast is all electronic.
The best gearbox is the Allison but these too are electronic.

Personally I would stay with the 6.5 and a TH400 with the 205 T case.

Simple, reliable and does not need a computer to make it work.

To do the DMAX swap you need a complete wiring harness from a donor truck plus the computer to run everything.

Getting the allison/Dmax combo in the 72 may require some lifting of the body as well as other changes to get enough room to fit stuff in.

All doable but the cost for the components as well as the work required may not be worth it ???????/

Glad to have ya on board.

Missy Robyn

93GMCSierra
09-28-2009, 10:18
Wow very cool pics, too many to go through them all but I loved the stuck tow trucks.
I was hoping to see some of the 72 chevy maybe I just didnt go far enough though.

jhornsby3
09-28-2009, 18:25
Brother you just didn't go far enough. They are both very good looking.:DThat ol Chevy with a 6.5 in it would be a lot of fun.

John

a5150nut
09-28-2009, 21:18
That had to have been some work to move the turbo to the other side. does it spin the other way too? :eek:

And......welcome to TDP! :D

93GMCSierra
09-28-2009, 21:54
I found them that is a nice setup, vacuum brake boost must be difficult with the 6.5.

OL 45
11-30-2009, 01:37
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the forum as I have just discovered the site.
I have a rebuilt 6.5 that is transplanted into a 45 series landcruiser. I am not sure what the correct name for these trucks are over your way, but the old girls are popular over here.

The restoration is not finished as yet, but I am getting close.

I have learnt so much from this site and I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to share with us who are not as familiar with these great motors.

Hi StWilde, there is a guy up near Gympie who transplants these motors a lot and may be able to help you with a 6.6 duromax. He may be interested in your old motor. Do a search for Linquip. Name is Lindsay Cullen. Also check out the 4x4action forums in oz, do a search for 6.5 tips and tricks.

Thanks to all,
Have a great Christmas
Greg

Robyn
12-01-2009, 17:42
Welcome to TDP

Thanks for sharing the fine pix of your rig.

Lots of good stuff here at the page for sure and great folks that will help in a heartbeat.

Robyn

StWilde
12-04-2009, 22:01
Sorry folks,
I dropped off the planet there for awhile... Thanx to Greg for the wake up call.

Well the Chev repair job is flying along - I have rung the insurance company and they will pay for the gearbox and a few other bits. I gave her a bath, wrapped her up tight in some blankies, covered her in tarps and pushed her into the Chev. But that is it.

Getting depressed.

Anywhos.... I am poking along and will start to explore looking for a few more tips from you.

Thanx for the warm welcome,

Lara