PDA

View Full Version : Who suggests engine block heaters/oil pan heaters??

lmholmes11
09-29-2009, 18:12
Well since it has reached down near 50 here in Michigan it is time to start thinking of cold weather. Last winter my truck started fine here, but there was a little hesitation. I plan to change the glow plugs and both batteries but does anyone have input on using the factory engine block heater along with an oil pan heater? I don't plan on running it all night just because of the cost of electric, but rather have it on a timer to turn on an hour or two before I want to take off. I have done some searches on this but i wanted more input. Thanks guys

npauli
09-29-2009, 20:19
I'd vote yes for both.

Will the truck start without them? Probably.

But use a timer for a couple hours or so, and you'll save enough fuel warming up to balance out the electricity cost. Having easier starts, less wear and tear on things, and a warm cab are just a bonus.

The only warning I have is to make sure it's good and cold before using the heater. I burned mine up last winter from (presumably) leaving it on too long when it was too warm. From the sounds it makes when I plug it in, I imagine the block heater boils the coolant around it. If the coolant is already warm, I'd suspect the heater element gets too hot. I believe newer duramax's have a thermostat in the cable that will prevent this too.
I doubt the oilpan heater would have that risk, since it packs less heat over more area, and oil can handle more heat without damage.

I've got the stick-on oilpan heater from Kennedy.

More Power
09-30-2009, 09:39
I've driven a GM diesel through 22 Montana winters. If you have a garage, park it inside overnight. Like you suggest, I use an electrical timer (rated for at least 1500 watts) to energize the block heater at least two hours before I need to start the engine if the temp is near or below zero (F). If it's above zero, an hour or so will be enough. Be sure to unplug the heater before starting. Some heaters have leaked electrical current, which can affect an all-electronic engine. I've not used a pan heater, though I hear they are somewhat more popular in the Canadian north or in AK.

Also, parts of the engine will be nearer to ambient temperature (colder)and some parts of the engine will be warm(er). For example, the engine coolant temperature sensor may be reading near ambient. This temperature differential can sometimes produce some odd engine starting/running characteristics in the first few moments after starting. This is somewhat normal when using a block heater.

Jim

Mark Rinker
09-30-2009, 09:43
I think the engine block heater is more than sufficient, even for MI or MN winters.

As MP states, parking inside can preserve engine heat for many extra hours. If you must park outside and/or use the truck infrequently during the winter, and your location is extreme, maybe a oil pan heater is then warranted.

I have a magnetic pan heater, tried it on the old 6.5Ls, and it didn't help 'seat of the pants' cold starting behavior at all - with or without block heat.

Block heat is the trick, IMO.

lmholmes11
09-30-2009, 14:56
Ok thanks guys, I think I will just use the block heater for now. Maybe i'll use an oil pan heater in the future.

Mark Rinker
09-30-2009, 15:16
If you are about to revive a diesel that has been parked in temps at or below -15, then I would agree that the pan heater would be advisable, in addition to block heat. (I'd hate to see the lack of viscosity in the pan at these temps - makes me cringe to think what the oil pump must go through just to PUMP the stuff...)

In these cases (usually skidsteers left onsite without 110V access) we use a bullet heater directed at the block and oil pan, and let it heat the entire engine compartment for 1hr before trying to start the engine. We also use a portable generator for plugging in the block heat, during this warm-up.

Easy starting is all about increasing internal cylinder heat temps, even if its just a few degrees. Block heat is the easiest way to do this, in 'normal' winter conditions.

npauli
09-30-2009, 18:17
I agree with the consensus that block heaters are the most effective at warming up the engine, getting good starts etc. The main reason I use the oil heater is because I have this mental image of cold oil being so thick that it triggers the bypass in the oil filter and feeds your engine unfiltered oil. I don't really know at what temps that will happen, or if the block heater is enough to prevent it. I just feel better with an oil heater.

Now I'm curious - what oil temp do you get with an hour or two of block heater? I'll try to measure it sometime when it gets pretty cold.

lmholmes11
09-30-2009, 18:33
Well it is supposed to get down to 25 here tomorrow morning so I will let you know what kind of temp I get at start up.

Mark Rinker
10-01-2009, 09:09
25 is balmy ;)

I don't even plug in the trucks until <10F or so...