PDA

View Full Version : Import owner looking at duramax...

rykertest
10-02-2009, 10:15
Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. :) Well, the long and short of it is that after some very poor experiences with dosmestics in the late 90's, I went with some foriegn trucks and have had very good luck. While I missed the power, I was so happy to have a vehicle that just did what it needed to do with never a problem. Why am I here you ask? I'm not here to ruffle any feathers, but rather to hopefully get some UNBIASED and FAIR feedback. I have been given a large 5th wheel due to a death in the family, and while my toyota can pull it, it is a struggle. I prefer gm products of all the domestics and am taking a look at the duramax. I've read about the injector issues, so know what to look for and how to resolve that issue. I guess my question is with the trucks in general. I know message boards only focus on the negatives, but how are these trucks overall for reliability? I will admit that I have severe doubts about the reliability of the domestics in general. Again, I don't say that to ruffle any feathers, just being honest.

I left the domestics because while they had power and all that, there was always something and it was nickle and diming me to death, not to mention the frustration of having to be in the shop every few months. I put about 30,000 miles on a vehicle per year so reliability is the top priority.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Should I go back to the domestics? While I know I am on a duramax board, I hope you can provide some fair opinions and not just rave about the truck ignoring it's drawbacks (if there are any)

Thanks in advance.

Dura-Ration
10-02-2009, 10:53
Spend a little to save alot. Buy the DieselPage books volume 1 & 2 from this site and you can learn alot with as little reading as possible. Then you can make a more informed opinion yourself about the best built Trucks available today. IMHO

Mark Rinker
10-02-2009, 11:17
Welcome aboard...not sure you can get an unbiased opinion around here, but you'll get lots of experience with the Duramax.

For what its worth, from someone that has owned many, if I were you I'd find the best used 2006 with low miles and drive the wheels off of it for the next 10 years or so.

Lots of improvements to the injectors by 2006, they appear to be lasting much longer with the LBZ compared to LB7 series, improvement to the OEM intake / air filtration system, same great chassis, brakes, load capacity, etc.

2006 is the year to own IMO, for a few more years anyway.

rykertest
10-02-2009, 12:41
Welcome aboard...not sure you can get an unbiased opinion around here, but you'll get lots of experience with the Duramax.

For what its worth, from someone that has owned many, if I were you I'd find the best used 2006 with low miles and drive the wheels off of it for the next 10 years or so.

Lots of improvements to the injectors by 2006, they appear to be lasting much longer with the LBZ compared to LB7 series, improvement to the OEM intake / air filtration system, same great chassis, brakes, load capacity, etc.

2006 is the year to own IMO, for a few more years anyway.

Both of you guys made some good comments so thank you. I posted this same question on another board and got a flood of "toyota sucks! nothing ever goes wrong with a chevy!!!" and junk like that. I was looking for more level heads with their egos in check and I found at least 2 of you so far. :) lol So thank you.

I think that book would be a good purchase to help expand my knowledge base.

I did have 1 question about the filtration. If I did go with a 2006, would the additional fuel filtration be a good idea? From what I have read that seems to be a very popular addition to most of the dmax's.

Also, are the front ends a concern on the 2500's? I forget what year it was but I did hear that the chevy's had some issues with the front end, but that may of been when they did the body style change in about 2000???

Thanks again for the replies.

Dura-Ration
10-02-2009, 13:27
Ya I'm with Mark on the 06 model, it was a year to improve on what was not up to par just yet. But performance wise its hard to beat an 01-04. Yeah thats the bias part. As for frontend I have had 0 zero problems with frontend on mine. 73000miles. Maybe your thinking four wheel drive launches at the drag strip. Now that is hard on parts.
Any additional filtration is always a good idea. A bypass oil filter for the engine and a secondary fuel filter for example. If your after longevity you've come to a great site for learning about the Dmax.

beeler
10-02-2009, 14:41
I ran an '02 Dmax for 125k miles. Overall trouble free. Had the steering shaft problem, hole in transfer case and injectors. Seemed like the rig was good for a lot more miles, just not with me behind the wheel. I'm now driving a Ford V10 and I have to say the only time I miss having a diesel is towing the toy hauler.

The others are right about the '06. A buddy had one and that thing was a tow monster. Only thing was it wouldn't get the mileage my '02 did.

NutNbutGMC
10-02-2009, 18:04
2007 Classic is right thre with the 2006 LBZ. Both have the same engine.

PM me if you're looking for a new (4,200 miles) 2007. I am looking to sell this one and move over to a 2007 Suburban.

Body styles changed with the 2001 model (had two), and the 2002 LB7 didn't improve (had one), totaling 4 sets of injector replacements in the 2002 LB7.

I landed this curent 2007 in July 2007. I tow a boat less than 1 mile to the ramp and carry a tractor across town. It has never even been driven in the rain. Still clean as it was when I got it. :D

npauli
10-02-2009, 20:58
If you're stretching the limits of your half ton, a diesel would definately be a good choice, which in the US means you only have 3 to choose from.

All diesels in the US have emissions limits imposed, and the limits get stricter on Jan 1 of certain years (2001, 2004, 2007, 2010). All 3 of the domestic diesel pickups got significant changes at these times (though the model years stagger the calendar years somewhat for some additional confusion). One of the reasons you've heard a number of recommendations for a 2006-early 2007 Duramax is because it was a significant engine (and transmission) update that came ahead of the next emissions limit and so it wasn't bogged down with as many compromises.

GM's Duramax timeline:
2001 emissons (ending mid MY 2004) = LB7. Best fuel economy of all duramax years, but expensive injector problems.

2004 emissions (MY mid 2004-2005?) = LLY. Better injectors, worse fuel economy (thanks to EGR and new emissions limits). More power.

MY 2006-early07 = LBZ. Still 2004 emissions. Some engine improvements, better fuel economy than LLY. More power. Corresponds with the introduction of the 6 speed allison.

2007 emissions = LMM. Adds a DPF for emissions. More power. Significantly worse fuel economy.

2010 emissions is next. They'll use another gizmo (SCR) in the exhaust for emissions. This will probably help improve fuel economy too, but will require you keep a urea tank from going dry.

The other domestic diesels had to meet the same emissions limits, and many of the same technologies were used along the way. You'll want to go to places like powerstroke.org (FORD) and turbodieselregister.com (Dodge) to find the particular years, strengths, weaknesses of each.

I know ford went from 7.3 to 6.0 for 2004 emissions, and had a horrible time with that motor, at least initially. The 6.4 came later, and I think they had some problems too, but perhaps some good years sprinkled in there as well. They did a clean sheet redesign for 2010 emissions that sounds really cool, but probably expensive. (Google scorpion ford 6.7 diesel, or some such thing). I think of Ford as having respectable, capable trucks with worse reliability and fuel economy in recent years.

Dodge has migrated from:

12 valve 5.9
24 valve 5.9
add common rail fuel system
add EGR (for 2004 emissions)
6.7 L motor w/ EGR and DPF (for 2007 emissions)
add NOx adsorber (for 2010 emissions)

I think for many of the 5.9's, they had good fuel economy and performance, but some fuel system problems and a handfull of other issues. From what I've heard, the 6.7 gets terible fuel economy, but the performance and exhaust brake is nice. Some criticize the truck wrapped around the engine, but I don't know enough to say more. Dodges tended to be different from the others. They had solid front axles when GM used IFS. They had different cab & bed layouts available. Recently they went to coil springs on the rear.

Sorry for the novel. Hope this helps.

hapaschold
10-03-2009, 04:10
my 02 dmax was injector problems deluxe,

my 06, dmax no problems with dmax itself, set of batteries, steering shaft, that was it.... about 15.5 average mpg partial loaded. hope i didnt make mistake going to 09.

my 09, only a month now, 17 mpg, pretty much empty still , imo best running dmax set up yet for me.....the flat spot on acceleration is barely noticeable..only issue is alignment , it pulls left.. waiting on gm engineer now.

all trucks 4x4 crewcabs long box slt s.

ford wise, had only vans with 7.3 psd, a '96 '99,'01 the 04 6.0 psd was problematic from day one, turbo, egr....then i brought to a differant dealer and all fixed in 3 days..

TheJDMan
10-17-2009, 17:21
I have owned nothing but GM trucks for the past 35 years. I can tell you without exageration that this truck is the best one I have ever owned. Power to spare while towing and an easy 21mpg hiway while not towing. Solid, quiet ride at any speed.

NutNbutGMC
10-17-2009, 17:39
I have owned nothing but GM trucks for the past 35 years. I can tell you without exageration that this truck is the best one I have ever owned. Power to spare while towing and an easy 21mpg hiway while not towing. Solid, quiet ride at any speed.I'd like to see 15 MPG on this engine (LBZ) or I'd love to know what you're doing to get an easy 21 MPG please.

dr.olds
10-28-2009, 12:44
I have owned nothing but GM trucks for the past 35 years. I can tell you without exageration that this truck is the best one I have ever owned. Power to spare while towing and an easy 21mpg hiway while not towing. Solid, quiet ride at any speed.
I second that motion! the best I've done is 17 mpg! 02 LB7

dually2002
10-28-2009, 16:51
Bought my 02 dually in 11/03. Had 25K on the clock when I bought it. Since about 30K I have used Amsoil synthetic engine oil,trans fluid,gear oil,anti-freeze,fuel additive and cetane booster. Use Donaldson fuel and trans filters changed frequently. Only has 82K on it but seven years of use. Haven't pulled my fifth wheel in over a year. Put a JK tune on it two years ago with 4 inch exhaust and over these two years my mpg ranged from 17.8 to 18.3. the only unscheduled maintenance items to date is a window regulator and a drive shaft centering bearing. No injector issues or any engine issues since I owned it. This last tank I got 18.9 mpg under the same driving conditions. I don't know if the light bulb is fixin to burn out or the engine is finally broken in.

TheJDMan
10-31-2009, 07:04
I'd like to see 15 MPG on this engine (LBZ) or I'd love to know what you're doing to get an easy 21 MPG please.

All my mods are listed in my Sig. My focus when ugrading components has been to improve air flow through the engine. If the air can flow freely the engine will run more effecient. You will notice I have no tuner or programmer only the stock tune and I have dynoed at 420hp 725fp torque and I can easily get 21mpg by setting the cruse at 65. I have a 2600 mile trip coming up over the holidays and I expect to see even better milege with all hiway miles. At this point I have no plans to add a programmer.