PDA

View Full Version : Rejected - again

gmctd
04-18-2005, 15:29
Well, I am at a complete loss, here, folks - what must I do to be accepted, to be part of this exclusive club, to experience the camaraderie and warm fellowship resulting from a common bond.

ronniejoe and John Kennedy are in it - why not me?

I've tried most everything I know - overheating, high Boost levels, lugging the engine in 3rd\over from 30mph, fully loaded.
Even drove the truck 50 miles with the flex-plate completely separated at the crank hub, where the crank inertial imbalance vibrated the entire 8500lb chassis.

To wit -

I've been wanting to pull the oil pan for a complete re-inspection since that unfortunate incident, last year.
So, hearing a strange scrunching, tinny noise coming from the middle-ish area of the oil pan, I proceeded to pop it off, again.

Only to discover, to my chagrin - no oil seeping from hairline cracks, no varicose veins of shattered cast-iron, no wobbling crank throws, no loosened main caps.

In short - nothing. Nada, zip, walla, nein, naught, the big ought.

No, wait! There's one, there in that next to last pan-bolt hole...goes from the inner crankcase wall to the outer block wall, just off-center.
But, where's the seeping oil? I wiped that area more than 15mins ago, and still no oil.

Well, curses and drat! That really is beginning to look like where I maybe scored the pan rail with the putty knife, trying to separate the RTV to get the pan off.

Still no luck..

What glaring quality control oversight has the General overlooked, that I might be in this lamentable predicament.

I mean, just that one little crack would have been sufficient to send me packin' for Cummins - that 6BT of reknown, the 5.9 stick, the big 360, oh, yeah!

Well - there's always another day, right?

Guess I've got mixed emotions, over this - sorta like watching my mother-in-law drive off a cliff in my recently purchased DMax

Oh, yeah - that noise? Looks like it was the trans cooler lines vibrating on the side of the engine oil-pan

Now - what sorta luck is that? ;)

[ 04-18-2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

More Power
04-18-2005, 16:00
Not sure what group you're referring to, but you could just loosen the harmonic damper bolt, and let nature take its course.... :D

MP

Clatter
04-18-2005, 16:02
"what must I do to be accepted, to be part of this exclusive club, to experience the camaraderie and warm fellowship resulting from a common bond."

Gee, I'd get a dog. LOL!

Can't help your situation, wish I could. I subscribe here for the info and help that has been posted. This is a great site.

mhagie
04-18-2005, 17:07
jd, I know you want a cummins in that truck so bad you can taste it.
The sad part is I don't blame you a bit.
The GM truck is still the best but cc for cc the cummins is in a class all by itself.
I was hoping Britannic would have his conversion done by now so we could have some feedback as to the good or bad lessons to be learned about it.
That said however I will NEVER convert my 1/2 ton plaything to cummins over my 6.5, but were
I to find a 94 up w/out engine would I consider a conversion,you bet I would.
You have an awesome truck,now IT WOULD be worth converting.
Cheers, Merle :D

john8662
04-18-2005, 18:14
Do you just like removing the oil pan? I think you just miss seeing the guts of your 6.5 Litre Diesel, this time, install the stud girdle! :cool:

Billman
04-19-2005, 04:34
Sorry to hear of your misfortune...

Here's a thought. Hook up the trailer and head for Disney.

I'm hearin' that mouse does a lot of damage.

Sorry, SD. I couldn't resist.

Humor, remember?

Dvldog 8793
04-19-2005, 04:35
Howdy
Just so you feel like you "belong", I will be willing to ship my old 599 cracked block down to you. Then at least you can have one to look at. Or you could reassemble the block and install it in your truck and then pretend that nothing was wrong and it is normal to use 1 gal of antifreeze per 75miles. It might even be possible, with the help of a good hypnotist (or maybe Dr. Phil) to convince yourself that it is actually YOUR block. Then you could really be part the group! :D
L8r
Conley

Cowracer
04-19-2005, 05:46
I'm not sure what club it is you speak of, but if it's the 'At-some-point-since-leaving-the-factory-my-engine-has-been-more-than-10-feet-away-from-my-truck Club" Then I too am a member, and its not for the weak kneed.

I have to walk by my poor truck every morning to get to the car, and I stare into that gaping hole where six and a half liters of thumping diesel power should be. It's unsettling to see something as un-natural as that. I wonder if surgeons get that same creepy feeling during heart transplants in that breif moment when the old is out, but the new is not yet in? :eek:

Dont be in such a rush to join that particular club.

Tim

Dvldog 8793
04-19-2005, 05:52
Hopefully a surgeon won't have to walk by an open chest cavity on his way to work in the mornign! tongue.gif
L8r

Spindrift
04-19-2005, 15:20
JD,

Here's my suggestion. Walk within a few hundred yards of where I'm standin' and then sit back and wait. Say...5 to 10 seconds. Then watch as the heavens rain all sorts of bad chit on your head.

Turbo Al
04-19-2005, 16:43
Thanks gmctd for the daily chuckle,

I too am in your club after 180,000 miles of beating on the 6.5 it still won't break. GO-FIGURE.

Al

gmctd
04-19-2005, 17:27
Thanks, guys - your responses are adequate compensation for my 'setback'. smile.gif

dieseldummy
04-19-2005, 18:05
I'll trade ya, 1st overhauld due to cylinders 7&8 being worn out. Second overhaul due to valve breaking. 1st turbo due to bad stuff in the oil from the reason of the first overhaul. 2nd turbo due to the imfamous "bark". One transmission "fix up" with a low band. 1st transfercase due to bad input bearing. 2nd transfercase due to improper case being utilized. One fuel lift pump, going on another... this is all in the 26K that I have owned it 143K total. If that doesn't get me into the group then I don't know what qualifies. I wish I could say that my 6.5 has been trouble free and hasn't quit yet, but alas.

Justin

Turbine Doc
04-19-2005, 19:38
I'm only willing to join the club within the next 1400mi as that all the warranty I have left I'm at 98,600 on stock 1998 oil spray block, needs to happen soon, after that I don't want to pay for it so I'm hoping to be banned from the club after that.

landrea
04-23-2005, 13:35
I should get box seats in that club.I've owned 5 tow trucks with 6.5's and had to replace 4 engines.Two had cracked blocks and two had valve train problems that trashed the whole engine.I love them when they run good but cuss them when they fail.I keep my garage stocked with commonly used parts(good thing I get my employee discount at the chevy dealer)

gmctd
04-23-2005, 17:54
Lest you guys think my engine is some kinda 'special', I oughta 'fess up, here, that Spindrifts truck got more workout on that one trip than mine gets all year long.

However, the 50 mile incident with the broken flexplate should have done the trick with the crumbled mains webbing, but it did not.

Got no explanation for that, but maybe now the block casting is well settled.