PDA

View Full Version : New (used) '94 Chevy 6.5 turbo Owner !

WelderSki
10-03-2009, 21:49
Howdy All !,

Yup! That's right, just last month picked up a '94 Chevy Suburban K2500, 4X4, 6.5 turbo Diesel, that someone did not want to put any money into to keep it running. Even with 170,000 miles on it, I felt I got a good deal for $3500.
It had been a County Engineering SUV, untill last year when the guy bought it at the County yard auction. The first thing I did, was take it to my local mechanic's shop, for an oil change, and get it on the lift, so I could check out the undersides better, then when I first looked at it, and drove it. It drove like a top, the first four weeks, but out on the highway it started to hesitate, during acceleration (45mph, to 65) and by the last week of Sept. it started stalling, when I decided to take it to the Dealers, to have the OBD codes read, other than my counting flashing lights on the dash. When it stalled on the way, the day after I had two new HD #78, Heartline batteries installed. After an $87.26 cent, tow five miles to the Dealer, and two days in the shop, the Service Mgr. phoned to tell me I needed a injector pump. I replied, "I'll be right down there, to speak with the mechanic", when I got there they must of thought they were dealing with, a know nothing regular customer !

When it was dropped off, I told the Ser. Mgr. what it was doing, what I had done to it since buying it etc. etc. ! I asked them to check the lift pump, and fuel pressure, read the OBD codes, to check the glow plugs, and wiring connections, (which I had done, but might of missed something) and determine what was wrong. They could not get any codes at all, and offered to replace the IP, I told them I needed time to think about it, but I had a pretty good idea, it was just the PMD/FSD, from the time I spent on-line searching for anwsers, before bringing it to them in the first place.
When on-line, it confirmed my opinon, it was most likely the PMD, I called them back asking if they would install a new PMD remotely, with a kit, they said they never heard of a kit to mount one that way. I was about ready to jump through the phone, and grab him by his tie.
I then sent an e-mail to his Boss, the Dealership owner, and gave him my thoughts on the matter, he did not reply, but the Ser. Mgr. called me back the next day, and said if I get the kit, they would put it in. I ordered the parts kit on Oct. 1st ! (a new PMD, #7resistor, & heatsink) to drop ship to them by UPS on Mon. or Tue., Hurrah! and Oooh Raah!

I'll have my White Beauty back !! And I hope that solves the problem, and it's not the IP's optical sensor, as the mechanic told me. If anything I'd suspect the oil pressure switch! I would also think changing the OEM lift pump (3-5 psi) to a better one of 10 psi, and install a fuel filter before the inline pump. From my research online, the PMD/heatsink is not the best option, I'm in the process of designing a better relocation heatsink, that may be of intrest to northern owners (cold winters) of 6.5 turbo engines. But I need wiring diagrams of the IP, oil pressure switch, and aftercooler fan. Can someone help? And when I get my Sub back, I'll measure the under the hood clearances, for the location I'm thinking of, and designing for.

Later Gents and Ladies?,

Ski

WelderSki
10-04-2009, 07:49
This is before the new Ultra Alloy wheels, and grill guard/brush guard, fog lights, and some interior upgrades.

More Power
10-05-2009, 10:42
Welcome to the board! Your Sub looks like a nice one.

There's a tremndous amount of tech help here in the board, both existing posts as well as people to help answer new questions. In addition, you'll find tech pages in the Member's Area.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm

Jim

Mark Rinker
10-13-2009, 06:43
Nice looking Suburban - wow is that OEM exhaust pipe small in diameter!

I owned two 1994 K3500s flatbeds that were part of a municipal fleet. They had hard working histories, and both succumbed to cracked blocks between 120K and 170K miles in. A stud girdle might save you an engine replacement, if its not too late. Another approach would be to start building your next engine, now, and have it ready for the day when you need to repower that otherwise clean Suburban chassis...

A Duramax conversion is also a possibility, but non-trivial from a mechanical point of view...

Good luck!