PDA

View Full Version : Hose for IC keeps blowin off!

DA BIG ONE
09-12-2005, 01:17
I have developed an issue where the hose from the turbo outlet to the pipe then IC keeps blowin off.

The IC is mounted between the frame rails and hose/pipe in question wrap around pass side frame rail up into wheel housing then into turbo outlet.

Changed clamp to the factory type "lots of clamping force" that goes from turbo to intake but no luck!

At first I thought there was tire contact w/285 tires, but this is not the case.

I'm stumped!

Dvldog 8793
09-12-2005, 02:46
Howdy
Remove the hose CLEAN oil off of everything. scuff the mating hose/pipe with sandpaper. CLEAN and DRY everything again. Use a Constant pressure spring type clamp. Sometimes too much clamping force will squish the hose off the pipe, especially if there is a little oil to help. The regular screw drive hose clamps can be worthless.
Hope this helps.
L8r
COnley

DChristie
09-12-2005, 02:56
Hoses blowing off is more common than you'd think. The fixes are pretty simple too.
1)Groove the tube around the entire circumference about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the end. put the clamp on, on top of the "new" groove.
2) you can try putting the clamp on as close to the end of the IC tubing without grooving it. Put the hose on like normal, but clamp it as close to the end of the IC tubing as possible, NOT the end of the hose. This helps keep pressurized air from getting between the hose and tube as the hose swells, it slides off.
3) fab up a "dogbone" brace for the length of tubing that moves away, that will take the tension load off of the hose and clamp.
Do whatever is easiest.

If you could watch the hose under full boost, you'd see it swell and slide off. Hard to watch runnin' along side at 65-70....

How loud is it when it blows? just curious. I've stood and watched it happens on generators. It's loud enough to jump me out of my skin. And I know its about to happen. :D

DChristie

DA BIG ONE
09-12-2005, 06:03
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
Howdy
Remove the hose CLEAN oil off of everything. scuff the mating hose/pipe with sandpaper. CLEAN and DRY everything again. Use a Constant pressure spring type clamp. Sometimes too much clamping force will squish the hose off the pipe, especially if there is a little oil to help. The regular screw drive hose clamps can be worthless.
Hope this helps.
L8r
COnley Will try again!

Thanks

DA BIG ONE
09-12-2005, 06:07
Originally posted by DChristie:

How loud is it when it blows? just curious. I've stood and watched it happens on generators. It's loud enough to jump me out of my skin. And I know its about to happen. :D

DChristie Like a big truck tire going but w/o popping sound, just a big swish of pressurized air so loud everyone in area even w/their windows closed take a look.

I like the dog bone idea to hold pipe in place, then I think the hose will only swell.

Thanks for input!

99gmccrew
09-13-2005, 20:05
I used a utility knife to score the tubing where the silicone hose clamps on. I also used a solvent to clean all of the oil off of the tubing. I have not had one come off since doing this. Oh ya, I also use three clamps per connection. One clamp right where the tube ends butt in the center.

DA BIG ONE
09-15-2005, 01:58
Originally posted by 99gmccrew:
Oh ya, I also use three clamps per connection. One clamp right where the tube ends butt in the center. I should have known better about the third clamp have it on my turbo gas motor, never thought to put same setup on the diesel, will now!

Spring clamp appears to be working now!