PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L stalling blues 94 3500

alberta
10-08-2009, 23:09
Have been fighting with engine stalling while driving along freeway not under heavy load for the past year. I have slowly been replacing some parts to try to solve intermittent problem.I have recently changed the fuel tank, leaking oil cooler hoses,oil pressure switch,fuel filter,waste gate solenoid,fuel lift pump, and fsd on injection pump. the stalling continues and I am starting to stall with in minutes of starting engine and bleeding the fuel filter works sometimes. Scan tool does not pick up any faults. What should be my next step ???

Platina Cruiser
10-08-2009, 23:27
Where did you mount your FSD?

I've learned that the best coiche is a to move the FSD/PMD away from the heat.

suburbanK-2500HD
10-09-2009, 07:40
""and bleeding the fuel filter works sometimes. Scan tool does not pick up any faults. What should be my next step ??? ""

if you can start after bleeding the filter you probably have some leakage somwhere. injection tubes, supply lines etc.

JohnC
10-09-2009, 15:55
read through the "stalling" thread at the top of this forum.

Robyn
10-09-2009, 16:16
Depending on how long the PMD has been on the engine that would be my first suspect.

These can fail when mounted on the pump in as little as 20K miles.

Get a fresh DTECH PMD aqnd mount it remote away from the heat.

Use a #5 resistor in the PMD plug cavity.

Missy

alberta
10-09-2009, 21:04
""and bleeding the fuel filter works sometimes. Scan tool does not pick up any faults. What should be my next step ??? ""

if you can start after bleeding the filter you probably have some leakage somwhere. injection tubes, supply lines etc.

Thanks for your reply.I want to be clear.the original problem of "stalling" seems to be corrected.It was caracterized by the engine shutting down while driving and readily starting again when placed in park or neutral.Now the engine stops in neutral or drive and won't start again unless fuel filter is bled (no air appears to be present)and small amount of fuel is let out of the water drain valve. it then starts easily.

twaddle
10-11-2009, 10:34
Hi there,
Double check that your lift pump located at the side of the chassis is actually running. If you don't hear it buzzing while you sit in the cab lie under the truck and make sure it is "buzzing" while the engine is running without any intermittant pauses.

My 96 Suburban had similar problems as your truck whick took me some time to fix. Mine eventually turned out being the ECU which was causing the main fault although there was other issues such as poor ground cables and connections.
Just remembered I also had one problem which was intermittant caused by a fuel hose which had rubbed through against a chassis crossmember.

Are you located in Alberta, Canada, if so where? If I can be of any help let me know. I am located about an hour west of Edmonton.
Have you changed any relays or checked the fuel system related connectors and wires to them?

Good luck

Jim
Formerly Biggar,Scotland, Now residing near Evansburg Alberta, Canada

twaddle
10-11-2009, 10:41
I forgot to add........ If you are getting a "small" amount of water from the filter drain every time you have to bleed it you may have to drain the fuel tank or you could temporarily connect a fuel hose from a can of fresh clean fuel to rule out any contamination problems from your fuel tank (dirt, water, old diesel, crud etc etc).

Good luck

Jim