PDA

View Full Version : Storing the Chevy for winter

DaveBr
10-11-2009, 10:53
I am going to store my 93 Silverado for the winter. Is there anything I should know that's different about storing a diesel?

Platina Cruiser
10-12-2009, 00:44
Not that I know of.

Just make sure you're coolant has enough antifreeze in it, even if you are storing it inside.
As you probably know, it's a good thing to either get the fuel tank nearly empty or to top it up with winter diesel.
I would also use a battery conditioner.

The ideal storage or me is a place that is dry, but has ventilation.

ToddMeister
10-12-2009, 06:07
Unhook the battery connections and connect a battery tender (i.e. optimate) to keep the batteries fully charged.

Change the engine oil and filter b4 storage. Check all other fluid levels, too.

DaveBr
10-12-2009, 17:09
It will be outside storage. Does diesel require a fuel stabilizer like a gas engine would?

DmaxMaverick
10-12-2009, 17:22
Fuel treatment would be a good idea. Use one formulated for winter use and water control (NOT the 911 types, which are for emergencies, after you didn't do what you should have done). A biocide would also be a good idea, to prevent algae growth. #2 Diesel, by itself, doesn't require any type of stabilizer for short term storage (less than several years). The problem is water, which can accumulate from condensation, and allow an environment favorable to algae. Most fuel additives recommend a "double dose" when used for long storage periods. If an additive is NOT recommended for storage use, it should say so on the container. I recommend using a common name brand (Stanadyne, PowerService, FPPF, Howes, etc.).